Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Mt Airlee

Visitor

Sorry guys, could not make it AGAIN! Hope you had a fun day!
    Eddy

Very much enjoyed the day yesterday.
    Thanks Mani for organizing the trip, and thanks DK for leading.
    The driving was great, and the views from the end of the walk were spectacular.
    Some photos & videos of the trip:

IMG_2344 (Large).jpgIMG_2354 (Large).jpgIMG_2372 (Large).jpgIMG_2347 (Large).jpgIMG_2349 (Large).jpgIMG_2383 (Large).JPGIMG_2342 (Large).jpg

and video links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-Lkyiqierw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l7fmckJhhY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffwSBL74e7Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rwenVCc0cg

Thanks to all for an outstanding trip.

It was only an 8 km trip in (and then 8 out again of course) but it had everything that you needed to make it a great day, Dirt, Scenery and Mates! The weather held out for us, it was a great winter's day.
    The way I saw the day (not getting in the way of a trip report of course).
    For me it was a leisurely drive from home to Richmond where I had my first coffee of the morning. Always a great way to start off in the morning. Not too long after meeting with the new arrivals – Greg (GregD) in the TJ, Mani (TRBN8R) in his Maroon JKU, Tolga (Tolga) in his newly setup Rubi JK (with passenger George) and Greg (SKIZZI) in his monster truck. I had a go at SKIZZI for parking next to me. No one really notices my Black Betty (JKU) when you have a Green JK parked next to you sitting on 35 inch rubber feet (it’s green, but its always me that appears a little green with envy). Greg D was sporting a new Rugged Ridge winch on the front with plasma rope ready for the day ahead – of which we never needed to pay out fortunately – always good insurance though. We soon headed off travelling up Bells line Rd and toward Lithgow in order to meet up with the others. At one point I got Tolga to turn on his high beam from behind me so I could witness a Solar Flare. He has set up the Rubi with three halogen spots (I think 7 inch) on the bar, a small bar on the bonnet with three small halogen spots, a windscreen bar that had another five (I lost count it may be six even) across the top. To put more icing on the cake, he has converted his headlights to HID. At one point coming down on the return trip, he did switch on (the Sun!) and kinda looked like a Christmas tree. It was a very neat setup and really looks the part.

At the second stop (Lithgow Maccas) to pick up our next lot of Sydney Jeepers, we met with our Trip guide for the day Dave (DK) in his beautifully moddified ragtop TJ, Jose (Deiselcon) in his Black JKU and Kev (Kiwikev) also in a black JKU. Kev has only recently put out some hard earned dollars to sit his JK up on some 33 inch Mickey Thompsons on each of her four corners. I’m thinking I may have to invest in some of that action myself in the near future. The drive on from Lithgow, through Capertee and onto the air down loc was uneventful. We stopped to say thanks to the proprietor, Col, at the entrance to what was to be a fantastic trip. Incidentally, Col’s property is littered with a significant chunk of history with a variety of fixed wing aircraft, old trucks and various sorts of farming equipment from an era long gone.

After only 700 m of track a pass opened before us which proceeded to meander up an escarpment boarded by ferns, blackboys and sheer rock cliff faces. The track itself consisted of hardpack dirt and rocky outcrops and had not seen too much rain in the preceding week. Most of the track was sure footed as well with the occasional off camber corner or rock step. That is not to say that at any stage was it boring. The obstacles presented the necessary assessment of which line presented the best approach and the one that would see less undercarriage carnage. It took only the first leg before most of the crew had roof panels removed or soft tops down and doing things natural (topless) in order to take in as much of the 360 deg majestic views as was humanly possible. We stopped a few times to ensure everyone was comfortable with the speed and progress of the day’s drive, at one point SKIZZI found a near vertical resting spot whereby he managed to park his steed. To mount and dismount saw him using the rear wheel to step on in order to get into the cab.

A typical lunch of sambos, coffee and biscuits was consumed and Tolga also produced a lamington slice; after which, we then walked to the edge of the world. Spectacular views at the end of a short stroll which saw us all perched on the edge of a bluff overlooking valley floor and similar height escarpments on the horizon. The wind was a bit chill, but the walk there and back was sufficient to keep us from complaining.

The return trip saw us meet up with another group of like minded four wheelers perched on the top on one of the previously conquered precipices. In typical fashion they were more than satisfied in watching the more capable, and better looking, Jeeps do their thing scaling back up the rock steps that were earlier descended.

The final leg of the journey back toward Col’s property was short and still easily as spectacular as on the way in. Jose could not help himself, and after a short decent faced his Jeep back up the alternate to get back up and watch everyone else do the step-down. This way he not only managed to do the main track up and down, but the alternate up and down as well.

Overall I want to thank everyone for a great day out, especially those who organised and led it – Mani and Dave. This was Tolga’s first trip out and I believe that he (and his passenger George) got to experience a first class introductory trip that was well planned and executed. One of the comments I heard on the day was that once you do your first trip you need to put up some sort of trip report or your views on the day. Well this was my fifth trip and no one ever told me to do a write up. I hope this late entry is sufficient and provides some insight to those unfortunate enough to miss this truly inspirational drove to Mt Airly. Regards Jason (jbrad). Also, great pics guys and if this can be passed onto our Mag editor that would be cool.

Well said Jas...... It was truly a Jurassic drive, one that I will remember fondly. Thanks to all for making it a great day.

DIESELCON - DC Mk 2 - 2015 WK2 CRD 33" ATR's on 17" sevens, 2" lift & 2000 TJ on 35's beadlocks

nice write up Jason, just re-lived the day... thanks

cant wait for the next SJC trip. Yes!!! its only days away

Visitor

Great day and great company with Sydney JK club, er sorry, i mean Sydney Jeep Club
    By the way Jason , Skizzi is on 37's so almost everybody suffers from tyre envy.
    Last edited by D.K.; 20-06-11 at 01:18 AM.