Thread: How to choose the best swag!

Smile How to choose the best swag!

My 2c on swag purchase - given that I have spent 100's of nights in mine over the last 20yrs - heres what I have learnt

Get the best quality canvas that you can afford - fine weave is better keeps in the heat yet still breathes.

Rubber type waterproof floor that not only protects the floor but also curves up the sides 100mm and prevents rising water from entering the side of your swag.

Zip off top to allow maximum air flow in summer

Fly screen front & top - make sure the fly screen is campfire ember proof and will deter the little mige' & anoying sand flies.

Front and rear hoops should clip on and not require frustrating threading through tiny little channels.

Front hoop is high enough for you to read whilst propped up with your arm / elbow.

And its long enough for you really stretch out - mine is 7foot long and a double which is just right for me & the mrs (I'm 6'3).

Something I should have bought 20yrs ago is a swag bag my mates have them and I think they would protect your investment nicely.

Whatever you end up with Im sure you will enjoy the freedom and the speed that you can set em up, just remember to properly prep it just after purchase, and by properly prep it I mean;

On the first available hot sunny day , erect it fully then get the garden hose - adjust the nozzle to finest spray / mist and thoroughly wet it entirely. this is important because the first time it gets wet the stitching will swell and the canvas will shrink a little when it dries - this is what is needed to ensure that the seams seal properly & when you are out in the rain you stay dry. Check your manual also to see if you need to spray any waterproofing spray initially and annually.

I spent last week in the snow in mine and 1 night it got down to minus 10Degree C so I zipped it all up and got into my minus 5 sleeping bag and survived! nice and warm.. you can see the ice / frost on my swag in the below pic
    Recently I had to spend a night in my swag in a raging storm so I just threw it under my Jeep bungied the front hoop to the bull bar and crawled in, my Jeep is thankfully high enough for fat @ss to fit under.
    cheers Hunty
    ps Yes I am too lazy to ever peg it out! the bungy cords do a better job anyway. + your stupid drunken mates can fall all over it and it just pops back up LoL

Luv My Jeep!

Nice pix Hunty, and agree with all your canvas prep tips - although when I 'season' canvas, I put whatever it is up and flood inside and out, then wait to dry!

Oh, and in my humble opinion, the best swag is a tent - sorry

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 25-05-11 at 10:19 PM.

LOL Sometimes no amount of seasoning will keep it dry. Here's hoping the Cape Trip is dryer.

Last edited by glend; 25-05-11 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Nice pix Hunty, and agree with all your canvas prep tips - although when I 'season' canvas, I put whatever it is up and flood inside and out, then wait to dry!

Oh, and in my humble opinion, the best swag is a tent - sorry

Dave
    My swag turns into a tent every morning! LoL
    Luv My Jeep!

Oh God - the both of you are too funny! Thanks for that pic Glen, I didn't have any of that so I'm keeping a copy. That tent has now gone to the great beyond, which sounds like what Hunty was dreaming about LOL!

Dave

If anyone is looking for a Swag I saw that Techniice are having a sale on swags at the moment. Page 13 in the catalog below. No idea if they are any good nut look heavily discounted.

http://www.techniice.com/2011/downlo...nsw/index.html

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Visitor

I just bought a swag too. Found it on ebay & the warehouse is just around the corner from Wooders. Great price, great swag. They have an abey store aswell as a web site. Good stuff.
    I have got a few things from them & am very happy with my buys.
    If you order from them you can pick it up when you visit Wooder. Could be a BIG spend day with both!

http://www.campingcentral.com.au/pro...Hoop-Swag.html

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OZtrail-M...item3cb6e0b3f8

Eddy

I bought a swag last year and YET to use it, Itrs called the Mitchell, so hopefully it will be OK when and if I use it.
    I highly recommend kangarootentcity.com.au, I was never able to find it cheaper after weeks of trolling the web etc.
    Try http://kangarootentcity.com.au/welcome/page47.php

Quote Originally Posted by Hunty View Post
    Gawd that is not a mental image I want in my head.........

Quote Originally Posted by Hunty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooders View Post
    Gawd that is not a mental image I want in my head.........
    I was doing ok until you mentioned mental images.
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!