Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you Air up?

Smile How do you Air up?

Hi Guyz
    How do you Air up?

Large high pressure air tank?
    Large high volume electric compressor (Warn VTC)?
    Engine driven compressor (York)?
    Small electric compressor (ARB - TJM etc)?

my 2 cents
    The JK has very little available storage space for a tank but if you were to throw away the back seat and install a big tank you could fill 4 x 33's in around 4 min - then there is the weight of tank and small compressor to fill it etc

The Warn high volume electric compressor (VTC) costs between $1200 - $2800 @ 25kg and will get a 33' from 15 to 30psi in about 50 sec
    4 tyres lets say <4 min.

Onboard engine driven air compressor (York repurposed airconditioner compressor) - will take approx 30 - 40 sec/tyre depending on RPM and efficiency etc
    4 tyres lets say <3 min

ARB electric compressor 4 tyres 15 - 30psi <15min

I use an ARB Compressor for my lockers and for tyre reinflation and I have plumbed it into my front bull bar (for offroad use only) I did this to give me enough air volume and pressure to run a rattle gun, additionally I wanted to have a good supply of air that I could use off road to reseat a tyre bead,

I have had this setup now for a long time and only just recently got to test it out - I had my 2 front tyres peel off the rims whilst wheelin and got to reseat them with my 100psi bull bar.

I have enough air in my bull bar air tank to air up 1 x 33' from 15 - 36psi and I can air up all 4 tyres from 15 - 36 in about 12ish minutes (assuming my front bar air tank is full) -

I installed / integrated my compressor behind my spare wheel to aid in cooling (ARB duty cycle is 30min on 30min off) and to use unutilised space.

Conclusion
    As always you get what you pay for !
    cheers Hunty

http://www.youtube.com/user/3DHunty#p/a/u/1/hEiiDE_TNYw
    Luv My Jeep!

When you've done the first tyre and the tank is empty do you fill the other tyres directly from the compressor or via the compressor/tank. Just curious as if you're filling via the tank still then you have to get the tank up to volume as well as the tyre and it'd be quicker to bypass the tank after the first tyre.

I looked at a tank or using my sliders for air but the gain didn't really seem enough. I have an electric rattle gun that works well and my twin head compressor will fill the 35's quick enough and well within the duty cycle, it's never cut out.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

I read recently that it's illegal to have compressed front or rear bars. I think it's in case they fracture under collision

I have the old ARB compressor hard wires and 18-38lbs takes me 3 minutes exactly, albeit they are smaller tyres than most. I carry one of those hand held stop watches (a few dollars from junk shop) so I know how long each takes.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
    When you've done the first tyre and the tank is empty (heres your mistake - the tank is not empty LoL)do you fill the other tyres directly from the compressor or via the compressor/tank. Just curious as if you're filling via the tank still then you have to get the tank up to volume as well as the tyre and it'd be quicker to bypass the tank after the first tyre.

I looked at a tank or using my sliders for air but the gain didn't really seem enough. I have an electric rattle gun that works well and my twin head compressor will fill the 35's quick enough and well within the duty cycle, it's never cut out.

Cheers
    Steve
    Hmmmm - I'd like to start an argument, - better rephrase that ......I'd like to start a discussion as to whether or not SteveF is correct?

I fill my air tank up whilst airing down on the trail b4 setting off wheeling to 105psi (my cut off pressure swicth setting)
    When the wheeling day is over and its time to air back up my front air tank is usually around 100psi (I normally have used some air activating my lockers)

Here we GO!
    When the first tyre is inflated to 36psi the tank has dropped from 100psi to X.

X = a pressure no less than 36psi because as my tank drops in pressure from 105psi the ARB compressor will kick back in around 85psi and will try to replenish the tank.

When I connect the hose to tyre 2 which is sitting @ 15psi there is a great inrush as the pressure from the tank X begins to fill tyre 2 up. (remember X = at least 36psi)

When I begin to fill tyre 3 the tank is again sitting @ 36psi and the above repeats.......

Lastly when I fill tyre 4 I switch off the compressor when the tank & tyre 4 reach 36 psi.

Anybody want to take me to school!
    Last edited by Hunty; 17-06-11 at 11:32 AM. Reason: haha - spotted SteveF's heressy LoL
    Luv My Jeep!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunty View Post
    Hmmmm - I'd like to start an argument, - better rephrase that ......I'd like to start a discussion as to whether or not SteveF is correct?

I fill my air tank up whilst airing down on the trail b4 setting off wheeling to 105psi (my cut off pressure swicth setting)
    When the wheeling day is over and its time to air back up my front air tank is usually around 100psi (I normally have used some air activating my lockers)

Here we GO!
    When the first tyre is inflated to 36psi the tank has dropped from 100psi to X.

X = a pressure no less than 36psi because as my tank drops in pressure from 105psi the ARB compressor will kick back in around 85psi and will try to replenish the tank.

When I connect the hose to tyre 2 which is sitting @ 15psi there is a great inrush as the pressure from the tank X begins to fill tyre 2 up. (remember X = at least 36psi)

When I begin to fill tyre 3 the tank is again sitting @ 36psi and the above repeats.......

Lastly when I fill tyre 4 I switch off the compressor when the tank & tyre 4 reach 36 psi.

Anybody want to take me to school!
    What school??............... If your Arb air compressor kicks in at 85psi to refill/replish the tank, should you not have some pressure/air from the tank/compressor remaining in the tank?? Do you need a certain amount of pressure in the tank for it to work, seems to be some wasted air in there if so.. My ARB 72 liter per minute pump takes only about 3 to 5 minutes a 33" tyre from around 16psi to 38psi for the road..............
    JC Member# 094

Great idea I love it, but food for thought. By using your front bar or anything of that nature turns it in to a pressure vessel and all weld and structural integrity needs to be certified and stamped with date of manufacture etc. You will see this on any compressor with an air receiver / tank. It will also require a pressure relief valve if compressor is remotely plumbed. With air especially compressed comes water and with metal comes rust which will form on the inside of your bar and can not be seen until to late. As I said great idea but all things must be considered

Quote Originally Posted by adz1604 View Post
    Great idea I love it, but food for thought. By using your front bar or anything of that nature turns it in to a pressure vessel and all weld and structural integrity needs to be certified and stamped with date of manufacture etc. You will see this on any compressor with an air receiver / tank. It will also require a pressure relief valve if compressor is remotely plumbed. With air especially compressed comes water and with metal comes rust which will form on the inside of your bar and can not be seen until to late. As I said great idea but all things must be considered
    Indeed you are 100% correct!
    However you may have missed the fine print "Offroad use" LoL I only use it off road and never drive on the black stuff with it full.

I do have a drain plug and a pressure release valve set to 120psi - I beleive pressure vessels are vessels that contain over 175 psi which is over 50psi more than I will ever use

I have opened the drain plug several times now and not even a drop of water has ever fallen out - not sure why not as the drain plug is at the lowest point of the bar and the ARB compressor certainly runs very hot, maybe its because the bar is black and sits in the sun all day? maybe its because there is a large distance between the compressor and the tank?

Can anyone suggest why there is never any water in it?
    Cheers Hunty
    Luv My Jeep!

I did see the fine print but after i posted
    I have had the same conversation with my friend who uses old / out of date 9 kg lpg bottles as air recievers.
    As long as every thing is safe it is OK. I work with high pressure every day and more than once I have seen striped threads from over tightening or not enough metal cause the plug or fitting to blow out like a bullet

Not sure about why you wouldn't see any water. Do your air lines hang lower than your drain plug. You could always fit a water trap to be sure

Sorry to hijack your thread

Quote Originally Posted by adz1604 View Post
    I did see the fine print but after i posted
    I have had the same conversation with my friend who uses old / out of date 9 kg lpg bottles as air recievers.
    As long as every thing is safe it is OK. I work with high pressure every day and more than once I have seen striped threads from over tightening or not enough metal cause the plug or fitting to blow out like a bullet

Not sure about why you wouldn't see any water. Do your air lines hang lower than your drain plug. You could always fit a water trap to be sure

Sorry to hijack your thread
    Re the HighJack - your welcome to high jack any of my threads anytime, I appreciate any intelligent advice, thanx mate - re the air feed lines being lower than the drain, I just ran out to the drive to have a look and B#@$@r me you are 100% right the lines run a couple of cm lower, thanx a million for your geniousness, you are a deadset legend! - so I guess the first thing i will do tomorrow will be to get my Jeep on the steepest angle I can and see if there is any water in the lines
    again Thanx mate
    Cheers Hunty
    Luv My Jeep!

You could dissconnect your supply line from your bar and start the compressor and blow out the line rather than push any water through your bar.