Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeep 4.7 V8

Default Jeep 4.7 V8

I have been looking at Hemi JK conversion kits on the net. Not that I can afford one, just dreaming. Everyone seems to think that the hemi motor is the best choice for a Jeep conversion because it mates in with the on board computer better than anything other type of motor. That seemed to make sense but then something occurred to me. Jeep already makes a 4.7 V8 for the Grand Cherokee but you don’t you hear of anyone using that motor? Surely it must use the same computer as the JK.
    Anyone have any ideas about that?

im pretty sure they would be compatible...BUT the hemi is a far better motor.........if your going to the expense of swapping motors, you might as well do it with somethign worthwhile.......the 4.7 is a good motor, but its not in the same league as a hemi....

I would love the Hemi but I'll never be able to afford one. I just thought that the 4.7 might be a lot cheaper

im sure if u pulled one out of a crashed 300c it wouldnt be to bad......remember with engine swaps, work out your budget....double it and you will still probably go over......

Quote Originally Posted by reyzor View Post
    remember with engine swaps, work out your budget....double it and you will still probably go over......
    Then double it again.
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!

4.7 isn't much cop. The 4.0l puts out about the same power for less fuel!

I've also noticed a run of 4.7lt engines dieing recently, have a look in the Grand section on Ausjeep.

Personally If I was going to do the swap I'd go for the small Hemi (5.7lt) or maybe even the 3.0lt Turbo Diesel, more power and torque (without enough to worry the drivetrain too much) and only 208kg and a V6 should fit in where a V6 came out

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

if youre gonna go the hemi swap though it wouldnt jsut be a motor your looking at...... gearbox, drive line, diffs etc....... i heard the one in qld (7LHEMI) kept blowing up gearboxes...... but if possible id look at a blown LS2.......

Yeah that is one big issue with big increases in power, the rest of the drive train isn't up to the task. I thought that the 4.7 might be a more sensible choice over the 5.7 litre RHD Hemi conversion. More grunt than the misserable standard V6 but not too much of an increase to stuff the tranny and diffs. And it would have to be cheaper than paying $11 K for a Hemi kit plus the shipping plus the install. I was looking at RIPP super chargers too but they don't do a RHD version so you would have to modify it to make it fit yourself. Good thing I have no money otherwise it would be a hard choice. BTW the little money I did have I just threw away (110kph on the spit bridge and 145kph on the southern freeway, $1300 plus ten points, ouch!).

That wasn't in my JK ofcourse, I don't think it can go that fast. It was on my 1050 Triumph Speed Tripple.