Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steves XJ

Finished the shelf for above the fridge, it attaches to the cargo barrier with hose clamps, it isn't going anywhere. I'll be adding a chain from the corners closest to the tailgate up to the child seat clip on the roof, I'll also add some turnbuckles to put a little tension on it to support it, it'll stop it making the cargo barrier flex at all and should be very solid. It'll be used for light but bulky stuff so I can make full ise of the available space in the back

The cutout on the shelf is to allow the pass thru hatch in the cargo barrier to still open. I also made the shelf short enough so the fridge lid can open and I can reach the controls.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Added the shelf supports, I used some turnbuckles and chain with heatshrink (the type with glue in it) over the chain so it doesn't rattle with no load on it.

Cheers
    Steve

Added the inverter today, it's temporarily wired in to a merit plug (25A which is about 250W-300W) and is fused accordingly, this is enough for the cape trip as all it has to do is recharge my laptop and run a 110W vacuum sealer. When I get back I'll wire it in to much thicker cable so it can support the full 120A (startup load). I mounted it under the shelf so it was nice and high, my last one was mounted under the front seat and died when I drowned the XJ and got water and mud up over the top of it.

Also stained and lacquered the small table top that sits on top of the drawer, it only covers half the drawer and is just to put things in when I take them out of the fridge etc when there is no room anywhere else

600W/1200W ALDI inverter $59.95 on sale

You can see its location under the shelf here

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve F; 07-09-11 at 05:42 PM.

looks good steve

Made a bracket to mount one of the fire extinguishers. It's 4mm plate and mounts to the front seat bolts, I had to noth it to fit around the seat uprights but that meant I could mount the bracket higher than the seat bolts and give the extinguisher enough room to clear the floor.

The extinguisher bracket is bolted to the mount through some tapped holes and then with some thin nuts on the back. Last thing I want is for it to come off and roll around the floor at my feet. Also wrapped the bracket in carpet as I had some left from my drawers.

Cheers
    Steve

Visitor

Hi can you tell me what the cargo barrier is out of thanks
    It all looks good

Quote Originally Posted by memfis View Post
    Hi can you tell me what the cargo barrier is out of thanks
    It all looks good
    It's from a 98 Magna wagon, got it given to me and was a shame not to use it The commadore wagon ones fit pretty good as well I think.

Cheers
    Steve

Time for another upgrade, the eeepc car pc is being replaced (no problems with it but the lure of Android got me) with an Android tablet (Motorola Xoom) it was cheap, is on the list for Android 4.0, it has a better screen resolution, 32GB built in (adding another 32GB in the micro sd slot for movies and music). So far I have Androzic and all my Oziexplorer maps on it as well as Sygic for street mapping and Torque for the ODBII bluetooth software. Now I need to get a mount for it and do the swap.

Cheers
    Steve

You're a superstar!!!!