Thread: Beach Driving & Overheating

Default Beach Driving & Overheating

Today I had my first experience of beach driving.

I was on the beach between Tuncurry & Hallidays Point - 10.5 km long.

I aired down to 14 psi, and drove mostly in the wheel tracks of other vehicles. The sand was a mixture of soft & harder below the high tide mark. I was in 4 hi, driving at about 25km/h, and all seemed well. I was concentrating more on the waves and the tide than my instruments, until I got a warning & found I was overheating, after about 8 km on the sand.

My water temp was 134 degrees, so I stopped & waiting until I cooled down (after getting up higher on the beach in case re-starting was a problem). I then went to 4 Lo, and the temp climbed a little (from 110 degrees to about 115), but this got me to the end and off the beach onto some dirt tracks.

I presume that in 4 hi, the soft sand was causing the engine to work too hard, causing the overheating. Is that normal - should I have been in 4 Lo from the start?

On the plus side, once I got into the bush, we saw a 2+ metre snake, big kangaroos, and echidna (never seen one in the wild before), & black cockatoos.

So as a novice, I look forward to getting advice on beach driving from those with experience.

Greg

Visitor

I prefer to stick to low range on sand, and it's important to have the cooling system in tip top shape (like not having 3 month old mud still caked in the radiator...oops ) Sure you don't go as fast, but that's a good thing if you ever have to do a sudden swerving manoeuvre!

I remember my first time on sand, frightened the $#%^&^^ out of me. The temp soared, I though the xj was going to burst into flames, Scotts right your cooling system has to be in tip top shape

Had 33" A/T's Mickey Thompsons last time I went to Stockton. Was at 14 psi but had to go down to 10psi, then no issues until the last dune (again) then the exhaust flang nut came loose, another tale...... In the TJ then............ Each dune looks the same after a short while, so once every 2/3 years does me fine regarding sand driving..........Lol.............
    JC Member# 094

It can also depend on what direction the wind is coming from and the direction you are driving. There is one section of Stockton beach for example where we always overheat - turn the car round into the wind and it instantly cools down. We have 31" Micky Ts Baja Claws and they where down to 15 The subaru's also have the same problem on that part of the beach.

In reality the heating should not be an issue whether in high or low or 2.
    I suggest that the cooling system be fully tested by a professional who can also test things like blockages, thermo operation and even the flow of water around the system. etc
    Perhaps your sensor(s) my be in question too...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    In reality the heating should not be an issue whether in high or low or 2.
    I suggest that the cooling system be fully tested by a professional who can also test things like blockages, thermo operation and even the flow of water around the system. etc
    Perhaps your sensor(s) my be in question too...
    Correct, it shouldn't be an issue but XJ's and TJ's are prone to overheating, the XJ is worst with it's very short radiator.

I run in low on the beach most of the time but also have a heavy duty fan clutch, AdRad radiator, new hoses, regular coolant and radiator flush and as of yesterday a new water pump. I can run on the beach all day with this setup without overheating and that includes flogging it up the dunes. I also run at around 10psi with the 35's and am regeared to suit them. It eats the beach up now and when we did the last clean up day there it was pretty much unstoppable when aired down to 10psi and could drive around (and snatch out) others that were bogged

Sooo, in short, give the cooling system a once over and check the fan hub clutch as for me that made the biggest difference to running temps.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Hi Mate
    I run 10psi on large tyres - eg 35' ats or 33' muddies
    The difference in Horse power required to push my JK through the sand at 14 as compared to 10 is about Double IMHO,
    Definitely check to ensure you have no residual mud blocking up your radiator.
    Do use 4x4 low range when ever on the beach unless you are driving @ 80km/hour on Fraser Island etc
    does your TJ have any traction control crap that needs to be turned off - my 2000 tj didnt but my 2007 JK does - every time I drive on sand my JK tries to put the brakes on to reduce wheel slip (dumbass JK)
    Luv My Jeep!

Thanks everyone for your help on this. I will be better prepared next time.
    Greg