Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Updating Jeep "Maybe"

Default Updating Jeep "Maybe"

Hello all
    Just getting some opinions on upgrading to a Wrangler in the near future, so not sure what to get yet though I'm only interested in a 4 door model AND I do like the look inside of the latest model, which I think was released Nov 2010. Much nicer. I beleive that a new v6 is coming out soon, so it may knock the prices down on older used models.

My question is - Is the diesel worth the extra over the petrol. Auto Vs Manual.

What should I be looking at as I doubt I can afford a new one.

Thanks
    Steve

Visitor

The new interior is certainly more modern but for me it's a bit too soft. The older interior ('07-'10) is utilitarian, but so is a Wrangler, so I think it suits the car better. Having said that some of the new features are great. The new ones get tiptronic gear change on the diesel autos, steering wheel controls, power socket in the central arm rest and a tailgate door support which I think are all useful inclusions. Some of the new features aren't so clever though. There are more plastic covers in the boot in the new ones (around the bottom of the roll cage) which will look great for 2 minutes and will get scratched to hell after that and look terrible. The older version was all just carpet which is a lot more resilient. The sub woofer is also integrated into one of these plastic covers now, as is the tailgate support) which will mean that I doubt it can be removed. This will cause problems for some with load space. I took the sub woofer out of mine after a couple of weeks as it was getting in the way all of the time.

Anyway, my 10c worth.........

Diesel 'v' Petrol - I think the diesel suits the JK better (a more lazy driving style) and is the stronger engine, especially at freeway speeds, and even more so with the extra weight of the 4 dr.

Auto 'v' Manual - If you're going with the diesel then get the auto. The diesel/auto combo works well and the clutches in the manuals are known to be weak (too weak for torque of the diesel motor) and expensive to fix! From '08 onwards the auto also got an extra 50Nm torque over the manual as well (460Nm instead of 410Nm).

Paul

Either way, auto is the way to go...............
    JC Member# 094

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-JK View Post
    The new interior is certainly more modern but for me it's a bit too soft. The older interior ('07-'10) is utilitarian, but so is a Wrangler, so I think it suits the car better.
    I think the JK could be a victim of its own success - its becoming more mainstream and so it will be gradually softened to appeal to Joe Citizen. In the next iteration we will see the windscreen angled back for a more aerodynamic shape....

Thanks so far - More comments are welcome guys

Do not forget about a "Rubicon" for few extra bucks if around/suitable etc.......................
    JC Member# 094

Visitor

get the rubicon thats what idid

Read somewhere,-ajor I think- that someone had to get a curved replacement windscreen for their JK recently and that was all there was about, that is going in now to JK's............. Unsure in this area.........
    JC Member# 094

The current issue of Overlander magazine has a write up on diesel auto vs petrol manual Wrangler.
    According to them the break even point in price (allowing for servicing and fuel costs) is 650 000klms.
    Not a good argument for a diesel, but I'd still buy one over the petrol any day.

How can it be that much. Wow! Ill have to get a copy