Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Updating Jeep "Maybe"

I asked myself the same question

I went out and got a copy of overlander. It was interesting read
    Doesnt look like fuel cpnsuption is much different btw crd and petrol. One of my main concerns if you look long term
    I wonder if the new petrol 2012 model will be good. I guess there will be some bargains late this year

Visitor

Haven't read the Overlander article but did they factor in the increase in fuel consumption when loaded. Admittedly not something that affects your everyday driving but the diesel should win out there. Also diesel should have higher resale so you get back a lot of the extra you paid anyway.

If you're going to do a lot of touring then I think the diesel is the way to go but if you just doing "normal" driving and local off road then it's probably more a case of personal preference between petrol & diesel rather there being a clear standout winner, especially with the new Penstar V6 that has better fuel economy.

I am running 2inch lift and 33inch Cooper Stts on my JK unlimited Petrol Auto..... I get about 15.5 Ltr/100 driving around town....... One of my friends has a Jk ultd diesel auto with a 2 inch lift stock tyres and he gets about 11.5 ltr/100 around town...... If u put muddies on his rig expect the consumption to go up a bit...... Thats the real world figures.... He paid $7500 more than me for his rig...... now u can work out how much time it will take to break even....... In the extre $7500 u can get a lot many mods on the petrol...... 2 inch lift $1200..... 33muddies $2000...... ARB front bar $1500...... Winch $1200....... Rear eaton e locker $1500...... Sway bar dicos $250........ total $7650........

Just my 2 cents worth......

Mani
    Last edited by TRBN8R; 29-09-11 at 10:22 AM.

Visitor

So mine is a 4dr auto diesel and running 35" tyres I get about 13.2 Ltr/100Km but add 4.56 diff gears and the power and torque is UNBELIEVABLE especially when towing the camper trailer.

Only reason I would buy a petal is to take out the v6 and drop in a Hemi... hehehe

Looking on carsales there are heaps of diesels around at a great price, unless you want new but the $7k Mani is talking about saving you can find a great second hand one with that kind of saving anyway.

Mani
    You make a very valid point.
    Though I doubt I could afford a new one but most likely a late 2010 or early 2011 model as I like the new interior. It's more to do with the fuel consumption over a long term, especially when touring. But in saying that - Is the wrangler OK for long touring or even long tramac trips to your yearly summer holiday up the coast? I'd probably add an Aux fuel tank to extend the range. I'm hoping to do a long bush trip one day soon where you may need heaps of diesel. Which as I understand should use less fuel in low range than petrol
    I am surprised the figures quoted for teh wrangler are so high as in comparison with my old fashion single cam 4.7l V8 uses 17-18 around town, 12-13 touring and about 15ish in the bush.

Visitor

Ive got the long ranger tank on mine, has a total storage of 156 litres and lasts about 1200Km... all depends on that right foot you may have I suppose.

May be my 3.73 diff ratios or my right foot or drive to work at an average 40kph is to blame for my bad economy.......

Visitor

I regret getting the rubicon fuel economy is terrible get diesel model and get a manual.. Easier and cheaper to repair should sonething go wrong... With plenty of ppl selling off thing off rubicons you can beef up your diesel model with the lower tcase gearing and the diffs with the lockers, ratio's are normally swapped out depending on tyre size you are running
    Last edited by aussiejk; 29-09-11 at 02:46 PM.

My 2 door petrol rubicon is running 33s MTZ on standard ratios 3.12 and returns 11.2------13.5l/100ks. The figures were alot different before I used the Procal to adjust everything