Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CB radio recommendations

Default CB radio recommendations

Can anyone recommend a good brand of CB radio. I've seen the Omnicom and GME range but have no idea what's any good

Visitor

Icom. I have the IC400-Pro and it's a great unit. The ones in store now should have the 80ch upgrade already installed.

To substantiate that The 400 is essentially a commercial transceiver programmed for unlicensed UHF CB operation. The hardware is designed to run at 25W but the UHF programming reduces that to 5W (legal limit). It is technically possibly to reprogram it to 25W on the UHF band, but I doubt many dealers will be keen to do that.... Not to mention it's physically a very solid unit!
    Last edited by sbadman; 30-10-11 at 12:29 PM.

I also have an Icom - but it is a handheld 41S. I went that way because I didn't want to build one in. It is still 5 watt, and I can unscrew the antenna and attach it to an external antenna via a fly lead. It has a car charger and spare battery, so I just swap them out one day each... I have used this system on several big trips and heaps of little ones and it works fine.

Definately recommend Icom as a brand! Believe TJM stocks them as well as GME. Got mine from a CB communications company in Strathfield.

Dave

Ahh thanks for reminding me... another item to my to do/buy list
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Tim Tam

As an idea - look at www.prestigecom.net.au.
    Has most and you can compare prices etc

Hi Guys,

If u plan too do it on a limited budget I have the following Oricom combo in my car and happy to report no troubles at all.... and the radio comes with a 3 year warranty......

Radio http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW...item3a6bf073ba

Antenna http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FLEXI-UHF...item415e5b1190

Antenna is ground independant so can be mounted any where and its a 3 watt so gives an excellent coverage over the hills.....

Cheers
    Mani

I've got a Uniden unit where it's just the slimline head unit showing with the display with the main body tucked under the dash. Tiny and a bit discreet where it's mounted and it's out of the way but right there at the same time.
    It is not he who gives abuse that affronts, but the view that we take of it as insulting; so that when one provokes you it is your own opinion which is provoking.<br /><br />–Epictetus

I have a remote head GME, been in there for 9 years with no problems at all and good reception etc. I am looking at upgrading it to a 80 channel one shortly though and will probably go for another remote head unit just for the security of having the main body hidden and the small amount of space it takes up.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

So where to you put the Antenna?

Got mine on a model specific mount that's on the right front guard...
    It is not he who gives abuse that affronts, but the view that we take of it as insulting; so that when one provokes you it is your own opinion which is provoking.<br /><br />–Epictetus