Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: time for a ratio change? (auto JK CRD)

Default time for a ratio change? (auto JK CRD)

JK currently has the 4.10 (4.11?) 2007 ratio. should i be going as high as 5.13's or stick with 4.88's? 4.56 i don't feel will be enough improvement to warrant doing front and rear

Miraz - is urs auto? what do you run?

thanks!
    Last edited by Adrian; 23-11-11 at 12:40 PM.

You must do front and rear together if you change ratios!

I thought 4.1 was spot on for 35's for the CRD/Auto, but it struggled a little with 37's so I've gone to 4.88 now.

How badly has your rear diff let go?

yes, sorry what i meant was if it's worth doing i will do both front & rear, if not I will leave ratio as is

haven't opened it up yet to see what the cost will be, something let go, loud cracking under load so i believe it's the pinion gear.

i just spoke with my mechanic and he said approx $2500 each end to change ratios (including gears)! apparently the front is a PITA to remove ? you mentioned the rear you can get out by tapping the housing, is the front D30 any different? would he be referring to TJ diffs? (they have one sitting there being rebuilt)
    Last edited by Adrian; 23-11-11 at 12:46 PM.

I'd just leave it as it is.....$2500 is a bit steep for a gear swap, and there are much better ways to spend $5k!

The rear is just as easy to drop out, which mechanic are you using?

Langs (opp Wooders) is pretty well priced & cost me about that for the Dana 44 & 60. Your's should be a cheaper.
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!

Try John at J-Mac Diff & Gear(Arndell Park) .......Does a Lot of the 4x4 masters rig's and a few of the club member's Jeeps...... Great work, could be suprised with his price's......... Knows Danas' very well...( long story...). Maybe worth a try if you can not do it yourself....-9671-5800......Just got to get booked-in now.......Lol....
    JC Member# 094

Visitor

I bought a whole new rear diff assembly and had the front D30 rebuilt with new ratios to match for $4000, parts from Wooders, labour by J Mac. So $5000 just to change ratios? That is a rip....

Earlier this year Langs at Hornsby did my front Dana 30 for around $1200 supplied and fitted though I can not recall what make of parts he uses?? but I think I have 3.73

Quote Originally Posted by sbadman View Post
    I bought a whole new rear diff assembly and had the front D30 rebuilt with new ratios to match for $4000, parts from Wooders, labour by J Mac. So $5000 just to change ratios? That is a rip....
    Never heard off John being called a rip before by anyone else or by you previously for the work he had to do & he would have shown you any issue's or worked out what would be cheaper to do if possible before you had agreed to any work being done... Know him to well............ Something changed??
    Last edited by stevet; 31-10-11 at 05:31 PM.
    JC Member# 094

Quote Originally Posted by stevet View Post
    Never heard off John being called a rip before by anyone else or by you previously for the work he had to do & he would have shown you any issue's or worked out what would be cheaper to do if possible before you had agreed to any work being done... Know him to well............ Something changed??
    Stephen,

I think you miss read what Scott has written.
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!