Thread: KJ Ignition Question

Visitor

Default KJ Ignition Question

I have just bought a 2006 KJ Renegade. My first Jeep. The ignition switch has a number of pos ,lOCK, Back is Acc, Ford from lock one click is a dead spot, then onto run/start. My question is in the pos one ford of lock should acc like the radio, power windows ect work or is this the norm with Jeep ?

Also i have Cooper Discoverer STT 255/70 tyres fitted and would like to know what is a good tyre pressure to run them at for on road use ?

Ian

WHen you turn the key all the way to the clockwise position it should start, on release of the starter it will return to the normal run position. If your able to drive it that should be working Ok. The position all the way to the anitclockwise is the ACC position and yes all the accessory items like the windows, radio etc should work. Assuming the spring back from the start position returns it to the On position then all those above items will work there as well. CHeck your owners manual because this is all in there.

Re the Cooper STTS, I run the same tyres and as with all muddies, they are not suppose to be high pressure tyres, on the road (depending on the load in the vehicle and whether I am towing) I would run about 32psi in the Fronts and 32-36PSI in the rears. If you run higher pressures you will wear down the centre of the tyres. Off road on gravel, firetrails etc I'd run 26-28PSI and in more demanding terrain lower of course, but can't see much need to go below 20psi. Just a word of warning, if you are running 255/70s on the stock KJ allows (which are 16x7" rims) then you need to be very carefull about lowering pressures - the 255s have been known to pop off the bead below 20psi, they are really a tyre better suited to a 7.5 or 8" rim IMHO.

Visitor

Thankyou for your help, will check out what width my rims are.