Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest or recommended tyres?

Default Biggest or recommended tyres?

Those JK guys still running their stock 17" x 7.5" wheels (or any one for that matter).
    can you tell me what the largest mud tyre you can comfortably run?

I ask as I might get a set of JK wheels to put on my WJ as second set, as they are same bolt pattern .

Any help would be great please.
    Also if any one "knows" who supplies steel wheels that are 17" x 8" with B/space of around 5.5" would be happy to hear.

Thanks

I've run 35" x 12.5" on the stock rims....I have a set of stock jk rims that you can borrow if you like

Wow Miraz That's big and I can not understand that size. It must be close to 315/70R17

I don't think I can physically do that. I was thinking along 265-285/70/17. Hoping 285, absolute max (at this stage).
    My limited knowledge research said 285 recommends 7.5-9" rim. Don't you need to have a rim close to middle of the range? Would it be safe to run 285/70/17 on JK wheel, with muddies as my second set for club outings?

And thanks for offer Miraz- I even take you up on that offer later

yep im pretty sure Aussie JK runs 34s on stock wheels as well

Thanks Skizzi Anyone else able to contribute?

BTW saw you pass me on Mowbray rd yesterday. You seem to stand out a bit ha!

Aussie Jk is running 35"(315/70/17) copper stt. I think with spacers
    I'm running 34"(305/70/17) maxis bighorns. Stock wheels and No spacer but needed to adjust break line bracket to stop rubbing on full flex..
    DIESELCON - DC Mk 2 - 2015 WK2 CRD 33" ATR's on 17" sevens, 2" lift & 2000 TJ on 35's beadlocks

I am running 285/70x17r on my JK on standard rims, they are Mickey Thomson MTZ, they are supposed to be 33's but are actually 32.75. This was the number I used with the Procal whenI recalibrated the speedo.
    Last edited by Bear; 18-11-11 at 08:54 PM.

Steve, I think you should try someone else's first. As the Grands don't have a chassis, you can't run a body lift to fit the bigger tyres.
    I've had to do some major trimming to run 35's & that's with a 4.5" lift.
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!

Visitor

im running 35x12.5 17 cooper sst (true 35),on stock rim.. not 315/70/17(34.4) soon to be running 37's on stock rim.. plenty of the guys in the US run 37 on stock rims with out problems

Quote Originally Posted by Hunno View Post
    Steve, I think you should try someone else's first. As the Grands don't have a chassis, you can't run a body lift to fit the bigger tyres.
    I've had to do some major trimming to run 35's & that's with a 4.5" lift.
    hunno
    I have a 3" lift and I wont have trouble fitting bigger tyres as there is still ample room and I have the correct bumps stops in already
    I wont be in the category of 33" but probably 285/70/17 which equates to 32". yes I know smaller than most of you but thats life...
    I know that some grands run 33-35" but that's with lift of 6" ish which are available but Im not going down that path.
    only issue I see is the rear shocks might touch on flex with 285 and turning circle would be slightly restricted.
    If I had the right offset wheels - then thats another story or a way to relocate shock mount OR if I had more money then that a bigger story....

Good idea Hunno - I'd like to try someones who has 285/70/17 if around