Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new guy looking for guidance, old or new model?

Default new guy looking for guidance, old or new model?

Hey Guys,

I hope I have posted this in the right section...

I Have owned a Suzuki Sierra for last 5 years and now deciding to upgrade. I have always over the wranglers and been interested in buying one for a while now and would like the opinion of people that know what they are talking about.

I am undecided if it is a better idea to buy for example a newer wrangler like the rubicon or to buy an older one and spend more money on it? I want to lift it a bit and add a few things like bars etc... Would it be easier to do this to the newer Rubicon because the stock parts are better or would I be better off buying an older model and replacing a lot of things? WHat are the pros and cons of getting an older or newer wrangler as far as off road capability?

I look forward to any advice you guys might have and can't wait to get one and become more active on the forum.

Thanks

Kaz

the debate of the new model vs the old model will go on forever... just depends who you ask......

personally having owned both the TJ and now the JK i can say that my Jk is far more capable, but it has also alot more money thrown at it.

like with any car, if you get an older one, be prepared to spend a bit of coin maintaining, servicing, and generally keeping on top of things.

i like the "ruggedness" of the TJ, however, i do like the civilised feeling of the JK..... a jk rubi out of the box is far more capable then a tj..... it gives you a head start on your mods, but you will pay more for it then say an old tj.....

i guess its gonna come down to personal preference, budget, and what you want to do with the car..........

good luck

as far as mods go, the jk has been around long enough for the after market players to make almost anything for em....... the same as tjs..........

Thanks for your help.. I think I will prob go for a JK...

In your opinion do you think the Rubicon is worth the extra $$?

Quote Originally Posted by kaz View Post
    Thanks for your help.. I think I will prob go for a JK...

YES!!.............. AS I am known to say, "Jeep's are better drivers than you , me, or anyone else??, we just have to learn to catch-up to it's abilities and enjoy/use it!"............... Then the mod's, replacements, etc begin...........Lol...........
    JC Member# 094

Quote Originally Posted by kaz View Post
    No - if you do the maths then you are financially better off buying a sport and building it up, and you will end up with a better truck at the end of it - especially if you want to go with the diesel which isn't available in Rubicon spec

From what I have heard/read, the new Penstar V6 is a ripper, so it will depend on the flip of a coin as some have said....Depending on Total buget, the "off-road" pack for the sport, still leaves you the weak Dana30 up front and other left out bit's verse's the standard Rubi, mod's to follow, time off the road, either whilst getting done............. But got say as well, they are great, "straight out of the box" as they say........
    JC Member# 094

Quote Originally Posted by Miraz View Post
    No - if you do the maths then you are financially better off buying a sport and building it up, and you will end up with a better truck at the end of it - especially if you want to go with the diesel which isn't available in Rubicon spec
    Not referring to a Diesel choice but the maths are in favour off the Rubi, - Sport add Off-road pack + remaining gear to at least get to standard Rubi spec's......... If you intend to mod+, start from the "better base" and work that up from that if the budget is about the same and you will have one well prepared better/more capable ride/rig................
    JC Member# 094

geoff is right and wrong............yes you can buy the deisel sport and build it up (as he has done)

or you can buy the rubi and go from there......

personally, i am not one to want to replace diffs, and transfer cases.....(although the thought does cross my mind, and if i can get a good deal i will do it)

if you want a outta the box jeep which doesnt need a great deal done to it to get it going to all the good spots, get teh rubi.... if you want to mod, and mod big, get teh sport, you'll end up changing most of the "rubi add ons' if you go really big.

Quote Originally Posted by stevet View Post
    Not referring to a Diesel choice but the maths are in favour off the Rubi, - Sport add Off-road pack + remaining gear to at least get to standard Rubi spec's......... If you intend to mod+, start from the "better base" and work that up from that if the budget is about the same and you will have one well prepared better/more capable ride/rig................
    The offroad pack isn't a good proposition either....I'd look at at an aftermarket D44 front axle, locker and bigger axles for the rear, Dual-rate sway bar for the front and if you didn't go for the diesel then add a Rubi transfer case.

FWIW - my rig still doesn't owe me much more than I would have paid for a Rubicon!

for a new rubi?

im sure you can pick up a 2nd hand one for a lot lot less..........