Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new guy looking for guidance, old or new model?

Thanks for all the input guys!

So if i were to get a Rubi... How far would 10 K get me in modifications ?

I would just leave it stock for a bit and see what you want to do with it and get used to it, it'll be pretty capable and a small lift and 33's or 35's may be all you need in the end. That'll leave a lot of that 10k left over

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Hi Mate,

Welcome to the SJC... About the rig If u r technical person like Miraz buy a Diesel and build one up like him and u have a invincible rig, But If u r not very technically inclined like me a Rubi will be a better option.... For mods... 2 inch lift and 33s coupled with Rubicon's locking front and rear diff locks, ultra low transfer case, factory rock sliders and disconnecting sway bars will take you most of the places u dream of..... 2 inch lift can be done around $1000-1500.... 33 inch Maxxis Bighorns will cost around $1400 mark for 5 ..... Snorkel AEV will be $550 , Chinese snorkels will be around $150..... Front bar will be about $1200-1600, A decent 2 way radio with antenna will start from $300, A basic recovery kit will be about $400, Compressor about $200 ....

All the mods listed above will be a bit under $6000 and u r set to roll with most other big rigs....

If u want a winch it will add another $800-1200 to your budget.....

It will still be a lot under $10000.....

I have a 4 Door Sport but if I have to do it all over again I will start off with a Rubicon.....

Hope that helps.....

Mani...
    Last edited by TRBN8R; 03-01-12 at 02:48 PM.

lots of options here but really the real answer is what do you want the final outcome to be, dont get blinded by the starting point but rather plan your final build and work backwards to the cheapest way to get it

If you want to play hard on day trips and you see your self having tyre envy if you have anything smaller the 37's or 40's then I would start with a cheap run down TJ and replace everything but the body and if that would get some grinder loving

but if you see max tyre size ever being 33's or 35's having a jeep you can drive every day and still play reasonably hard on weekend's and maybe do a few longer trips a Rubicon is a great base

If you dont know 100% for sure then plan on the 40's cause the bug bites hard

Oh yeah real sadists starts with anything pre-Chrysler :P

Quote Originally Posted by Miraz View Post
    The offroad pack isn't a good proposition either....I'd look at at an aftermarket D44 front axle, locker and bigger axles for the rear, Dual-rate sway bar for the front and if you didn't go for the diesel then add a Rubi transfer case.

FWIW - my rig still doesn't owe me much more than I would have paid for a Rubicon!
    That's what I thought I said, "+ add off-road pack", still be "short changed" (diff etc) and not worth it.....Damn pill's.......Lol.........
    P.S. Nice to be able to work on your own rig, or walk the dog......Lol..........
    Last edited by stevet; 04-01-12 at 05:34 AM.
    JC Member# 094

Visitor

you walk the dog when you can't afford the part to fix your jeep

Quote Originally Posted by jeep_jk112 View Post
    you walk the dog when you can't afford the part to fix your jeep
    But you need to have a Jeep firstly, then be able to walk the dog after that...........Lol...
    JC Member# 094

Now if only the dog could fix the jeep while I take a walk

I hate walking. Hence I gotta car.