Thread: 2005 jeep cherokke kj

Visitor

Default 2005 jeep cherokke kj

Hi Guy,
    I might be able to get a good advice as what to do or which workshop qualifies more to work on jeep.
    early Dec.11 engine light come on, then engine stall, tow the car to a workshop the diagnose was the camshaft
    sensor. after replacement car done less than 100k then eng. light was on again, brought back to the same workshop
    but this time can't fully diagnose the problem so the sent the car to another workshop. this time the mech. say it's the
    crankshaft sensor, after replacement the car done less than 100k & engine light is back on again. the car been back to
    workshop since 10 jan. 12 and no defenite finding yet. I suspect this workshop has no jeep knowledge.
    Any help from you guys be highly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bert-a

Turn the key from of to on 3 times, so on off on off on off on and a code should come up on the odometer. Tell us the code. Or punch it into google and it should give an answer.

Visitor

Thanks reyzor, I'll give it a try tomorrow (Mon) and whatever comeout
    it can be a good start for the Mech. & will also google the code. Thanks again.

Just take it into Parramatta Jeep Service and ask for Eddy or Josh to have a look at it. It's not unusual for snesors to fail in a KJ of that age - the heat gets them eventually.

Visitor

Thanks glend, maybe next time around I'll bring my car to Pmatta. it's just that when it breakdown
    the immediate though is to bring it to a mechanic. By the way I try reyzor suggestion but
    engine light had been reset so no fault came up. Thanks guys.

Or, take the KJ to a decent Auto Electrician and have them plug in a good scanner! I was at Sydney Hi-Tech in Croydon today and as an aside (had the air-con serviced) asked them to run their scanner over my 2005 KJ CRD. They cleared a transmission overheat code for me - and I remember the incident from 2006! They ought to be able to identify any probs...

When my KJ was newish I kept getting the amber engine warning light, turned out to be a 'sticking' EGR valve.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 24-01-12 at 11:28 AM.

Visitor

Thanks Dave, my jeep not fix till now. the mech. change the camshaft sensor twice
    and about to change it for the third time. the engine warning light is now off but it coming back and
    camshaft sensor code come up. I guess I take the car out of this workshop and bring it Syney Hi Tech.
    Thanks again.

Hope it all works out! Repeated sensor failures can also indicate other problems that then cause the sensor to fail. For example when my KJ was two years old, I had the sensor that reads from the rear diff crown wheel fail 4 times over the year. I would get an ABS warning light, and the odometer would stop counting.

Jeep replaced the sensor 4 times without trying to find the cause... In the end, I started hearing a harmonic in the back end. When I told Jeep that, they then inspected the rear diff, and ended up replacing it. The prop shaft bearing had collapsed, so the gears in the diff were wobbling, and throwing off metal filings, which were causing the sensors to fail.

Hope you have a simpler solution!

Dave