Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Grand Cherokee Tow Hooks

Visitor

Angry 2012 Grand Cherokee Tow Hooks

G'Day All,

This is my first post. I wish it was in happier circumstances.

I took delivery of my 2012 Grand Cherokee on 23/1 and its a great piece of gear - BUT...

You may be aware that the 2012 model is being delivered without front recovery hooks contrary to when I ordered the vehicle in September 2011. In addition it came with "All Season" tyres rather than AT. The front of the 2012 chassis has been changed from the 2011 model and the tow hooks will not simply bolt on.

The issue of the tow hooks is turning into a major issue for Chrysler with many customer complaints and no easy solution. I've made numerous attempts through the dealer and Chrysler Aust to find out what is going on, but Chrysler are no longer returning my calls and have gone to ground. The dealer seems to be in the dark. Without the tow hooks, the GC is unrecoverable.

I have now written a formal complaint letter and sent it to the Chrysler GM, Dept Fair Trading and anyone else I could think of and Im trying to get in touch with 4x4 Aust Magazine to see if they can apply some pressure.

The upshot is that if you are expecting delivery of a GC, my advice is DO NOT TAKE DELIVERY if the tow hooks are not fitted. In hindsight I should have checked better, but mine was so shinny and new and I couldn't wait to take it for a spin.

I think the only way to get Chrysler to move on this issue is to vote with your feet and do not order or take delivery of a GC until this issue is solved.

Ill try and keep you updated.

Greg

When did they start putting "tow" hooks on them?
    It is not he who gives abuse that affronts, but the view that we take of it as insulting; so that when one provokes you it is your own opinion which is provoking.<br /><br />–Epictetus

Do not think any GC came out with tow hook's, but rather tie-downs only............. On the ZG/J initially, I got the tie-down's bits engineered, doubled in size/weight (& a copy for the R/L side?? to equalise the load - rated S/Steel bolts as well) and were rated and used plenty of times to recover until I got a bullbar................. You use the holes already there for the L hand drive models, steering box area I think............. Long time ago.....................
    JC Member# 094

Visitor

The MY2011 WK came with recovery hooks as standard. This is what I saw on demonstrators when I ordered mine. Chrysler have deleted them on the MY2012 models that are being delivered at the moment. The recovery hooks from the MY2011 cannot be fitted to the MY2012 as the front of the chassis has been changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregm View Post
    The MY2011 WK came with recovery hooks as standard. This is what I saw on demonstrators when I ordered mine. Chrysler have deleted them on the MY2012 models that are being delivered at the moment. The recovery hooks from the MY2011 cannot be fitted to the MY2012 as the front of the chassis has been changed.
    They would have been "add-on" accessories to the 2011WK, not standard equipment............... I could not get anything for the ZG at the time, hence I got the Tie-down re-made rated and copied one to the other side, then I could be pulled out from the front on either point, but had to trim the outer part of the bottom plastic skirt to allow a rated shackle to be able to fit/use when necessary....... A guy from St.Marys 4wd made/copied them for me............. Hope you can get it sorted, otherwise get a towbar and never be last in line.....Lol........
    JC Member# 094

Visitor

They would have been "add-on" accessories to the 2011WK, not standard equipment
    Nope - they were standard on the MY2011.

Heres a link to the story on talking jeep :

http://talkingjeepoz.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/jeep-grand-cherokee-2012-is-it-trail.html

Quote Originally Posted by Gregm View Post
    Nope - they were standard on the MY2011.

Heres a link to the story on talking jeep :

http://talkingjeepoz.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/jeep-grand-cherokee-2012-is-it-trail.html
    Whow,
    They finally do something right and then look what they have done... Had switched to a TJ by then and did not "keep-up" with their later G/C's spec's.. Even the use of the tie-down area seem's to be stuffed as well....................... Stephen.
    JC Member# 094

Visitor

So I got a call from Chrysler Marketing today (I need a engineer, not a marketer!)

Basically just told me that Chrysler were aware of the issue and were "looking into it". Did not offer any timeframe or proposed solution or any commitment to do anything at all.

Very unhappy.

Sort off sound's like the usual Corp. Jeep "I donn't know" excuse.... Sux's badly...........
    JC Member# 094

Just looked at two different 2011 models at work that co workers drive...a Laredo and a Limited. Those "tow" hooks are rather dubious for serious recovery work at best. Give Wooders a call and get some decent hardware on that thing if you plan on actually using them... NOT those factory "tow" hooks.
    And welcome to the happy world of the stealership...
    It is not he who gives abuse that affronts, but the view that we take of it as insulting; so that when one provokes you it is your own opinion which is provoking.<br /><br />–Epictetus