Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which would you choose

glend, any chipping of the tire yet? ive heard (but cant speak from personal experience) that they chip very easily.......

dont coopers and mickey T come out of the same factory?

Quote Originally Posted by glend View Post
    I love my Cooper STTs, they went great on the Cape last year. I considered the KM2s but the lack of block sipes made me think they would be worse in the wet on the tarmac.
    The KM2's are fantastic in the wet on the road...much better than the All terrain's which doesn't seem to make much sense.

I have had good run out of 2 sets of Goodyear MTR's espec for the sandstone and shale rock we have around Sydney

Yes I agree with Dave (Irwin) I'm a fan of the Goodyear MTR's, the Maxxis creepy crawlers are good also, don't know if they make them in the size your after.

Reyzor, no chipping of the lugs evident after the Cape trip, and the development road would be the place to get them. With the Cooper's (and probably most of them) the air pressure you run is critical - and this is mostly rock/gravel/dirt/sand corrugations. I was down to 25psi on the Cape and never had them above 32psi (cold) on the highway getting there - that was the recommendation from the tyre dealer.

Thanks guys for the feedback. Excellent !
    I did have the KM2 before but sold them, as needed some cash but I'm now able to afford a second set to fit a new set of wheels I bought months ago, which are sitting in the shed staring at me... Though still have a budget restraint!
    I did like the KM2 as they performed very well and surprisingly well as Miraz stated on the tar. Though they have been the only mud tyres I have used) And they were quiet once you hit 90k+.
    I was not aware of new MT's though as Hunty mentions, so I'll have to look in to them.

The MT's seem to sell a little under the KM2 prices and there is the Pro-comps that has been mentioned o be considered. Its all driving my head in,,,,.

I looked at the Federals too SteveF but the write ups seem to bag them quite a bit compared to many of the main stream ones.

Unlike most of you guys, I'm just after 265/70/17's as not sure I can fit larger without risk (or major upgrades) to the poor old WG.

Any suggestion on good (read cheap) retailers??

My ProComp M/T are actually over 10 years old (Not sure that's a good thing ) they are great on wet/dry roads, and do very well on rock. Surprisingly I think they are very/below average in the mud. So I think for sa lot of people they are a good idea, but from memory they are a little more expensive (or they used to be).
    Between BFG KM2, MTom MTZ or GY MT/R I think they are each an excellent tyre each with more pro's than cons.
    Another to consider is the new Kumho M/T - these seem to be getting pretty good feedback.
    There an't many BAD tyres out there right now - except BFG A/T (which I hate with a passion).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    Any suggestion on good (read cheap) retailers??
    If you know the brand/size you want, harrass Colin for a quote

Visitor

I'm running KM2's on my XJ no probs so far pulls up straight and has been good in the wet and not too noisey

Mick

OK
    I think the consensus of KM2 wins and I suppose, the fact that I had no trouble with them before, has led me to ordering a set of 4 which will be ready for mounting tomorrow. I think I got a good price...
    BTW
    I'll need a spare second hand tyre to fit on my 5th spare wheel.
    If any one has an unwanted "usable" tyre in the JK size of 245/75/17 (which is the same diameter as the 265/70/17) I'm getting, Please let me know?
    Steve

ps Thanks to EVERYONE for their input..