Thread: Advice on oil for CRD 2.8 wanted......

Visitor

Default Advice on oil for CRD 2.8 wanted......

Hi all i have a 2006 KJ Renegade 2.8 CRD and would like to find out whats a good oil to use in the motor?

Hi Onewing,

I've got the 2005 2.8 CRD, and depending on what you want and how much you want to spend, you have a good range of choices.

I use a full synthetic, and have from new. My mechanic obtains a brand that I can't remember the name of, but is the same as Mobil 1 Gold 0-40. The Mobil 1 Gold 0-40 was recommended to me by JeepAssist when the levels were low when my car was brand new! It isn't a cheap oil, but you can get a Shell product with the same specs from KMart for about $50 for 5 litres... or check with Supercheap...

Hope that helps.
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 07-03-12 at 10:32 AM.

At the time these models were introduced the oil spec'd for them in the owners manual was a CF grade, with a 0W40 to 5W40 or even 10W40 Synthetic depending on the market and climate type location. They were shipped from the factory with Mobil 1 at that time. Worldwide Export Models had 10W40 recommendations because Mobil 1 just wasn't available everywhere at that time. Since that time the grading of diesel oils has changed substantially, and the present mass market products are usually a CJ grade. What you have to watch out for in buying your oil is that the modern CJ oils have a somewhat dubious record when used in vehicles spec'd for CF-CH.CI; the reason for this is that the CJ oils are 'enviro' and are designed to be run in vehicles equipped with Diesel Particlate Filters (DPFs) which the KJ CRDs do not have. To protect the DPF the level of antiwear additives such as Zinc were reduced in the CJ oils (in comparison with the levels present in CF, CH, and CI). Without adequate Zinc levels there are some reports of premature cam finger follower wear, which is the trade off for the protection of the DPF. So if you can source a CH or CI that would probably be your best choice, and Penrite does still sell a purpose blend diesel oil in it's HPR 05 Diesel range but it is a semi-synthetic (which is really a step backward in some regards). Penrite had an excellent CI grade synthetic up until the beginning of 2011 but dropped it from their range to focus on the new Enviro oils used in the newer vehicles.

Dave's comment on Mobil 1 is correct, and in its current formulation it is a CF oil and certainly fine for the KJ CRD, but you may find yourself 'using' more oil because of the 0 viscosity index and really in our climate a '0' is not required for cold start lubrication - but it's what is available. Stay away from Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel which some people are selling on ebay, as this is a CJ oil imported from the US and really only suitable for new CRDs like the 2011/12 JK CRDs which have DPFs.

Personally, I gave up on Mobil 1 because of the expense and have been using Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 Synthetic for the past couple or years. It's a CF grade but I don't run long drain intervals and it's lower cost allow me t.o change it every 5000kms if I can.

Visitor

Sorry to hi-jack, same apply for a 2009?

Visitor

Thankyou guys for your help, i have bought oil that is a CF 5W-40

Happy 4x4ing
    Cheers
    Ian

Visitor

Thankyou that's been very helpfull.

Cheers
    Ian