Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mt Airley, Capertee Sunday 22nd April 2012

yes please
    thanks mani

Visitor

I was over on the Australian Landrover forum the other day and somebody was commenting that Col was raging over the irresponsible people that have driven the track during the wet. Given that he is no longer the custodian for the track i dont know what the go is, but you can bet NPWS will be closing in soon.

I did comment on this forum a short while ago about the boggy conditions in the "jurrassic park" section of the track. It might be an idea to find more concrete information on the status of Mt Airlie.

There is no doubt in my mind that 4wd Actions " best kept secret in NSW" article to sell a few more magazines has resulted in the irresponsible element of four wheel drivers trashing this track. You only have to see the gate torn down at the end of the track to get the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by D.K. View Post
    I was over on the Australian Landrover forum the other day and somebody was commenting that Col was raging over the irresponsible people that have driven the track during the wet. Given that he is no longer the custodian for the track i dont know what the go is, but you can bet NPWS will be closing in soon.

I did comment on this forum a short while ago about the boggy conditions in the "jurrassic park" section of the track. It might be an idea to find more concrete information on the status of Mt Airlie.

There is no doubt in my mind that 4wd Actions " best kept secret in NSW" article to sell a few more magazines has resulted in the irresponsible element of four wheel drivers trashing this track. You only have to see the gate torn down at the end of the track to get the picture.
    Dam shame, but bound to happen.

Visitor

That's bad news.. Looks like another track will bite the dust soon and become another unvisited place of our lovely country

Visitor

Yeh its a great shame....... we (me and other guys i wheel with) have avoided the place for months, because of how much water the place has had. I noticed from a post on 4wd action the landy guys shared the same sentiment as me without actually pointing the blame at 4wd action openly, so i did! and we all agreed.
    There is now a bog hole (twin locked cars with 35's were getting stuck) that never used to exist with tracks cut through pristine bush to go around it.....
    I agree these places need to be gated to keep the majority who ruin these places out, but clubs that have shown they care and respect the bush should get access to all these "locked up" areas
    It was one track 4x4 earth went to great lengths to keep off their site......
    It was a place you found out through friends and aquaintences whom you judged weren't complete idiots who would not destroy the place!
    Last edited by jeep_jk112; 13-04-12 at 05:02 PM. Reason: self censoring!

Visitor

Its still "open" as far as i'm aware
    I remember stumbling across a copy of an email from the top ranger for the area, stating his intentions to install a "controlled access gate" there at some stage and that more detail would be released in the draft management plan, they were drawing up for the place....
    I thought i would pm heidi the other day and ask her about the gates going up, as she seems fairly in the know with whats going on with nat parks up that way...
    Here is heidi's reply (hope you don't mind)

The draft plan has not been released yet. We are trying very hard to keep it open with controlled access (you will get a key or the combination from the Blackheath NP office when it goes ahead)
    Unfortunately the top gate has been broken that protects a rare plant - this makes it hard to say that controlled access works, so there may be a push to close it all off again.
    The other issue will be if the mines need to have it graded to access monitoring points as that will change the track dramitcally as well.

I thank heidi (and who ever else is involved) for trying to keep this place open for the responsible 4wd community!

Cheers
    Matt
    Last edited by jeep_jk112; 13-04-12 at 04:59 PM.

It is raining next weekend up at Capertee and Lithgow as per http://www.accuweather.com/en/au/exc.../1073674?day=6 ..... Will see closer to the weekend how it goes... If it is bad will cancel the trip.....

I'm up there on Saturday with triple diamond 4wd club, we have limited our trip to 6 cars. If the track is trashed or closed I will post a reply here. The trip leader is president of NSW lands, so Craig will make the call..
    Cheers

Rhino.
    (really trying to get to a SJC meeting next meeting as I've been lurking here for a couple of months and haven't met everybody proper yet)

Thanks Rhino very helpful info

Guys the coming weekend forecast looks very dodgy for Lithgow and Central Tablelands area.... Keep checking the thread till the last day..... Trip can and will be cancelled according to "The Tread Lightly Policy" if the weather conditions are not suitable....

Also Thanks Rhino for ur help... Will look for your post.... Also u can call or sms me on 0405801230.... If it goes to answering machine means I am at work....

Cheers

Mani