Thread: UHF Radio, Hand held vs CB Radio

Visitor

Default UHF Radio, Hand held vs CB Radio

Hi,

I have recently purchased a Jeep Wrangler and am looking for some information

I am looking for some advise on what UHF Radio to go with.

I am looking at Hand Held vs CB Radio, i am just looking for something to use on trips to communicate with other vehicles and do not want to spend any more than about $250

I am also looking for some tracks and organised trips in Sydney,

Any recommendation would be appreciated

As for UHF.

While there are several makes and models in the market , I suggest you stick with the name brands. Such as GME, Oricom and Uniden, in that order. they should last you many many years

While a built in one is better for range, it will cost a bit more as you will need to budget for an aerial as well as installation if you're not handy. But it's worth it in the end and it could be transferred to a another vehicle when it's time to sell.

Hand held have their place (and many members use them) it's recommended to have at least a 2Watt version, though they do go up to 5Watt, just like the built in types.

One of the better places that "I" found reasonably priced is Prestige in WA. Look at their web site http://www.prestigecom.net.au

Visitor

One other thing to consider is Duty Cycle. Most Handy Talkies (HT's) do not have a full duty cycle so they cannot take the stress of constant use. Their finals will fold back and reduce power when they start to get warm in the hand. UHF antenna's are small but the rubber duckies on HT's are a compromise at best, do not radiate very well and have very limited range in the scrub. I am with Steve above with getting a name brand unit. I would certainly steer you toward a vehicle mounted unit over a hand held if it is going to be your only radio. GME has a starter package for about $50 more than you are looking to spend.

Chris

Visitor

Hi

Thank you for you advise, you have been very helpful