Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: whats the coolest fridge?

Default whats the coolest fridge?

hey all,

the time has come for me to get myself a fridge for the car...... although im a refridgeration mechanic by trade, i know nothign about the best ones to get for a car......

not to sure about what size i am after jsut yet.... but is there anythign i should be looking for or avoiding?

i do like the idea of the 12v/240v/gas ones... but it seems that the big names arent making htese..... could be a reason?

cheers

Chris (Cpage66) has a 12v/240v/Gas one that he was using up at Coffs. I have a Waeco 12v/240v that has lived in the Jeep (comes out on the very odd occasion when I need to carry something) for the last 10 years with no problems.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

We use a 47lt Evacool 12volt with a 240volt adaptor. It is a fridge/freezer, it has been on every Bylong trip with us, some of which have been extremely hot. The fridge and its companion battery travel in the Jeep until we get to the camp site, when they are moved into the tent for the weekend.

Steve is right, we've got a three way made by Dometic that we love for camp. Easy to use and it'll run forever on LPG. Silent running as well. Only drawback is the one that we have is large. For daytrips I carry a little Engel that's a 1979 model that I purchased from a co worker who won it new in a raffle in 1979 and never took it out of the box. It's great and I can still get parts for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDPDE...layer_embedded
    Last edited by Cpage66; 11-04-12 at 06:44 PM.
    It is not he who gives abuse that affronts, but the view that we take of it as insulting; so that when one provokes you it is your own opinion which is provoking.<br /><br />–Epictetus

And you know the Rosehill Caravan and Camping Show is coming up...fridges will be everywhere and much better prices! If I was going to buy another one to use as a daytripper, it would be the one that Bear and Maggie have...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gksdQ...layer_embedded
    Last edited by Cpage66; 11-04-12 at 06:42 PM.
    It is not he who gives abuse that affronts, but the view that we take of it as insulting; so that when one provokes you it is your own opinion which is provoking.<br /><br />–Epictetus

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    We use a 47lt Evacool 12volt with a 240volt adaptor. It is a fridge/freezer, it has been on every Bylong trip with us, some of which have been extremely hot. The fridge and its companion battery travel in the Jeep until we get to the camp site, when they are moved into the tent for the weekend.
    Hey bear if you have any pics of your set up and would like to post them up that would be great, as i'm looking to go down a similar path to you.....
    Interested to see where and how you store the second battery in the back of the jk!

Cheers
    Matt

I agree - wait for the show in Rosehill 3 years ago I bought a waeco 40 (though its actually 37L) and got it at a great price, with cover and support bracket. Go for a 50l one as it makes a big difference.

Hey Rey

My 2c Engel
    Great construction
    Lowest power consumption by far - don't believe the BS that some big suppliers are claiming - Jax & I went away with some friends who had "Another big brand name" and the exact same Batt as us, and our fridge was still running after theirs was warming up LoL
    Runs 12/240v
    Will run as a fridge or freezer
    Set the temp and it will map out the most economical way to achieve set temp - running and stopping etc!
    Will NOT kill your AUX Batt - built in low voltage cut out.

I have trucking mates who bought them in the early 80's and they all still work - many of the "New comers" claim theirs will last a lifetime but only the Engel has proved it.

3way - fridges are good but - When switched to Gas you cannot move them - they make soooooo much heat which is especially ugly when they are in your tent or camper trailer in summer, Gas costs heaps & they only last 2-3 days on a full BBQ bottle - and you have to carry the stupid Gas bottle - takes up space and adds weight ( I drive a shorty LoL) - Cheers Hunty

My 50th Anniversary model - took an Engel to the Cape and had collides all day every day!
    Luv My Jeep!

Visitor

Another vote for Engel the people I got mine from ran it for 12years straight in there office before it finally gave up but I had it repaired for a few hundred dollars

I have a Waeco and recommend you do a search for poly fuse issues on Waeco. Gives you an insight to them. The service center I took mine to the other week to get fixed had 20 odd lined up to be fixed. This is what made it stop at masters last time I used it

They also are one of the most sensitive to low current from your battery system and shut down.

The ARB one gets good reviews but have no experience with it. I would pony up the $$$ and go straight to the engle