Thread: Ford 8.8 Diff into ZJ

Visitor

Default Ford 8.8 Diff into ZJ

Hey guys,
    Am starting to look for options for replacing the dand 35 rear diff in my ZJ (served me well so far but now i crave more). Have been trying to source other options that aren't dana 44's (too $$$$). A good option looks like the Ford 8.8 inch diff out of the 1995-2001 Ford Explorer.... Track width is 15mm wider and has 31 spline axles and disc brakes out of the factory. Was wondering if anyone knows somone who has done this conversion or one like it and any issues they had.... opinions are also welcome

Does the TJ D44 use the same control arm mounts etc as the ZJ? That woul dbe the big advantage of going with it if it does and it's pretty much a bolt in. There are quite a few XJ's with the 8.8 conversion but it's easy with leaf sprins as there are only 4 simple mounts to weld back on the housing after everything is cut off.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Not sure but they do use the same after market arms, so I be betting they are
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!

Visitor

mmm.... interesting point.... will have to take that into consideration.... that would definately make the job a lot easier...... anyone know somewhere thats not mascot motors that sells them second hand

TJ Has different panhard bracket.
    The ZJ rear arms are slightly longer than TJ rear arms - but the control arm mounts would be ok.
    I'd suggest cutting off the shock mounts & rewelding on slightly rotated around for better rear lower coil bucket clearance.
    Obviously would need to be regeared.
    Biggest issue is that the TJ rear diff is pretty popular - read often overpriced.

try polly 4x4 I know they are in vic but even with the extra postage found them to be alot cheaper than mascot. to the point that i do not even bother ringing them anymore.

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    try polly 4x4 I know they are in vic but even with the extra postage found them to be alot cheaper than mascot. to the point that i do not even bother ringing them anymore.
    Cheers will give them a try

here is a tj d44 $1500. arb locker cromo axels & 4.88 ratios.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=116144

It would almost be worth get both front & rear for $3000. Then all the gearing is done & lockered front & rear too.

4.88 is the same gearing I'm running on 35's.