Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing a lift kit. Having issues

Visitor

Default Installing a lift kit. Having issues

I have managed to get the rear finished but am having issues with the front

I have unbolted every thing and removed the springs but I can't seam to get
    The nut on the top of the front shock will not undo. The top half of the shock just keeps spinning

I have also tried wd40 and letting that soak in but still no joy.

Any suggestions ??

I am also looking for some one who can compress the springs and tie
    Them down so I can instal them and then cut the wire tires

Your help and suggestions are appreciated

Cheers Steve.

If you have the pin style top mount - you will need to hold the pin or shock tube from under the guard at the same time as undoing the top nut else it will just spin the whole shock
    You can buy coil compressors from your local auto store - about $30. Simple system to use

Steve

Visitor

I tried holding the tube but it still kept spinning and there is not enough room to get anything in to hold the top of the pin

i wil head over to super cheap for spring compressors

If the pin protrudes the nut, then try holding the top of the pin with a small spanner and use a larger spanner to undo the nut. If still stuck , then let wd40 soak into it for 10 minutes
    You can also cut/drill/hack the rubber washer to get access to the pin ( I assume you have replacement washers etc
    Steve

The very top of the shockie stud has a flat section. use about 9mm or 5/16 spanner to hold that whilst you guse another spanner on the main nut.
    As for tying up and cutting the coil with something - PLEASE do NOT do this as there is a lot of force involved and the potential of something going wrong is significant. Right tool for the job please.
    As Steve said decent coil compressors are not expensive. But if you undo enough you won't need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooders View Post
    The very top of the shockie stud has a flat section. use about 9mm or 5/16 spanner to hold that whilst you guse another spanner on the main nut.
    As for tying up and cutting the coil with something - PLEASE do NOT do this as there is a lot of force involved and the potential of something going wrong is significant. Right tool for the job please.
    As Steve said decent coil compressors are not expensive. But if you undo enough you won't need them.
    Dave
    who suggested cutting the coil I hope not as I agree or are you just warning Steven?

Visitor

A workshop said they can compress the spring and then tire it up with wire, when the spring is in place then you cut the wire thats holding them compressed.

I noticed the spring compressors are sold individually, Will i need 2 of them to compress one spring or can i get away with just 1?

The issue i had with the two spanners was the top one was to small to hold and get enough leverage to undo the nut.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    Dave
    who suggested cutting the coil I hope not as I agree or are you just warning Steven?
    Not the coil (just my poor wording). I meant I would not recommend using wire/cableties/ratchetstraps/rope/string or anything else to hold the coil compressed and then cut it.
    Steve should be a enough room - use double spanners if you need more nut leverage.

Visitor

i will give it another go tonight

Thank you for your assistance, as always very helpful

Steven I have a set of coil compressors I can lend you if you want