Thread: JK Clutch Destroyed (HELP & Advise needed)

Ash74

Default JK Clutch Destroyed (HELP & Advise needed)

G'day

After an awesome 3 days out at sofala my 4X4 shifter decided to break, not so bad as just got under and changed into 4x4 Hi / Lo manually. This happened two weeks after purchase in 08 and whilst under there discovered that the dealship fixed with cable ties.

After snatching a stranger out of trouble we first noticedthat smell, after a good couple of days fishing and camping we packed up and headed for home, well we didnt get far before we lost all gears. Clutch gave up.

After hitching into town and obtaining help we towed her back to the rd to be towed to closest dealer in Orange.

Have been told this afternoon by the dealership that although I have the extended waranty they do not feel it will be covered, will cost $2500 and will be three weeks before we can get the parts from the USA, as there is nothing in Australia.

Is there a better / cheaper option than the genuine clutch?
    Is there a heavy duty clutch that can be used? and what is the cost?

This is my only car and I cannot afford hire cars for three weeks, and advise or help is greatly appreciated.

Visitor

Have a quick look on AJOR. There should be a few threads on there as there are a few guys that have replaced clutches and as far as I'm aware there are local options.

Ring Wooders... See if he got something in stock.... Also try DoubleBlackOffRoad........

Ash74

Ok

9 days later and have been informed that the clutch , fly wheel ,labour and everything in between will be covered under the extended warranty. Now just have to wait for the parts. Word of warning never buy a car or have anything to do with West Orange Motors. They are the worst bunch of people I have had to deal with in my 37 years on this planet.

Visitor

mate highly doubt they will do it ut ask if they will replace with after market parts if you supply yes you may think i am stupid suggesting you fork out cash when you are getting it done for free, but the stock clutch and throw out bearing in our JK's is a joke. i have just bought a clutch as mine is buggered at the moment and will be installing it with a friend in a drive way in next few weeks once everything arrives, somehow its still drivable but slips really bad leading me to think it may be throw out bearing who know. Anyway back on topic source a poly stage 1 clutch from Bill at Double Black Offroad it is a far superior clutch, and i am still trying to find an improved throw out bearing because must of the ones sold by aftermarket suppliers is actually a mopar part, again it is a week part known to fail. but if you could get free labor id take it, you would also get these parts quicker than the jeep replacement.