Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard top vs soft tops...

Default Hard top vs soft tops...

Hey Peoples...

Sorry I underestimated my manual. Its not 100 pages, but about 300 and none of it in foreign languages.. So I can tear out the bits I don't need..

I read in the manual that you shouldn't have the hard top and the soft top at the same time. I really need to keep the hard top on in winter, and swap over to the soft top in summer...

I am not really sure if they are saying to remove the soft top components that are all kinda folded down like a convertable top in the back, and take the whole lot out.

Or are they saying.. don't put up the soft top and the hard top at the same time... as if.. duh, don't think that would actually be possible.

Mind you I got a few boxes with soft top stuff in it that I haven't even opened yet.

So back to my question..

Should I remove the soft top stuff folded and compressed in my Jeep for safty reasons? (mind you, the 300 page manual comes with over 200 pages of warnings, God only knows how to jumpstart this car)

Or should I scan this page and see if you guys can work it out?

Americans, go figure..

Cheers,

Linda

Hi Linda, if you don't need the space in the rear leave it in place. It's just one less thing you need to do in summer when going soft.....
    DIESELCON - DC Mk 2 - 2015 WK2 CRD 33" ATR's on 17" sevens, 2" lift & 2000 TJ on 35's beadlocks

Visitor

Hi Linda,

You certainly can't use the soft top while the hard top is on (though why would you try?) but having it rolled up in the back won't do any harm, apart from eating into the already restricted cargo space and adding unnecessary weight and so increasing your fuel consumption. I took the soft top out the first day I had it and it's never been back on. I do often see other JK's out there with the soft tops rolled back on a nice day and wish (for a split second) that I had mine on but I'm just too lazy to keep changing them over and don't have enough space to store the hard top if it's not on the Jeep. Overall I prefer the hard top. It's quieter, doesn't leak (I know other say their's have but mine doesn't) and most importantly for me is more secure. You can always take just the front panels off and store them in the boot (you should have a protective bag to store them in that straps to the back of the rear seats) if you want to feel the wind in your hair.

If you want to take the soft top out you'll need a helping hand from a couple of burly blokes (or women for that matter!) to lift the hard top off first. It's not that it's especially heavy, it's just that it's big and it's a bloody awkward shape to lift so having 3 or 4 people helping makes it a lot safer as you'd really hate to drop it and break it.

Visitor

Linda

The Manual clearly states that it could cause damage to the soft top if it is left on with the hardtop installed. It takes up a lot of room to boot. I removed the front panels and then lifted the back up whilst my Mrs removed the softtop. The hardtop is heavy though so you need help.

Chris

Visitor

Yeh, that's what we did to get ours out but it's not ideal.....especially for the poor sod lifting the hard top by himself.......errr that would be me! Definitely better to find a few mates to lift it off properly.

i got the sales manager and a salesman to take mine off for me before i took delivery, well he offered. then i went back with a box trailer and its been in the shed ever since. next stop ebay. cheers David..

or you could buy a hoist-a-top? or make one.......

Visitor

Jose and I just put our soft tops on after a few years of having just hard tops on.(I stored mine in our warehouse .Suggest you remove soft top and store with boxes, which means you have more room in back .Installing soft top takes a bit of trial and error as instructions not that great.Took us 45 min to install Jose's then only 20 mins to put mine on , mind you both of us partly blind , but we were sober .We have 4 DR JK's

Visitor

another thought, storing hard top takes some room also , and its a 2 person lift

I used to have the soft top on during summer but the hard top for winter and extended touring - unzipping a frozen snow covered soft top is not pleasant. You will need two people to lift the hard top off and it does take a bit of room to store unless you get one of those storage things that allows it to sit on its side - although I think the JK is modular so maybe it can store in pieces unlike the TJ's top.
    We have the hard top on all the time now - on a hot day I miss rolling the roof down but it is a bit to windy for Isabelle.
    If you are going to run the soft top in summer I suggest getting a Buff for your hair it will help help contain it in the wind and keep some dust out of your hair on the trails.
    Heidi