Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front auto lockers

Visitor

Default Front auto lockers

Hey guys,
    Looking at getting some improved traction and am considering a lunch box auto locker, prob an Aussie locker (mostly for price reasons) and wondering if anyone runs this style/type of locker in their Dana 30 and just how bad it affects steering off road in both hi and low range situations... Also how intrusive it is in terms of clunkiness... Anyone had any bad experiences with this gear...

Only in the rear for me. Never really heard it.
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!

I have an Aussie Locker in my Dana 30 in the front of my TJ. (Aussie is now US based and won't ship to Australia - I bought it in the US. I think Lokka is the same and available here). I think it is great. Never heard it. Never had any issues with steering. Seems to work well. I've never used any other type of locker, so I don't have any other experience to compare to, but my experience with this one has been all good.
    Greg

Just a warning with auto lockers - You can't turn them off.
    If you have a heavy right foot of road or just very determined to get through carry spares.
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!

a mate of mine ran them in the front and back of his tj...... very clunky (though this is not such an issue) steering was fine, i belive they disengage when the wheels are turnign at differnt speeds ie around corners....

a cheap solution really..... however, i cant fault the rubi e lockers...... a zillion times better then the arb version i reckon... no air leaks, etc.....

Just to add, mine have taken some punishment over the past 12 months - including climbing Cardiac Hill near Mt Schofield, as captured by Jose in his video clips of that trip:
    http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/showth...ield-area-trip

Greg

Visitor

The Lokka (which is the same as the Aussie Locker) in the front of my XJ was definitely the best bang for buck mod I did to it (and I paid $160 for my first lift kit!). However it means I can no longer use the 4WD-FT setting on the road. IIRC the standard ZJ transfer case doesn't have a 2WD option, if so this rules out a front auto locker. Reason being anytime power is applied from the driveshaft the locker will lock up, which makes going around corners very interesting!

Visitor

If I only had money for one locker and it had to be an auto locker then I would put it in the rear. Not the front. You would not effect your steering then and would get the benefits when climbing when most of the Jeep's weight is on the rear axle. Do you already have a locker in the rear?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by vk2icj View Post
    If I only had money for one locker and it had to be an auto locker then I would put it in the rear. Not the front. You would not effect your steering then and would get the benefits when climbing when most of the Jeep's weight is on the rear axle. Do you already have a locker in the rear?

Chris
    If you have a good factory LSD in the rear a locker can be a better option up front. In saying that mine is in the back as when I put the D44 in the XJ I rebuilt the diff and installed a locker while regearing.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

that debate of front vs back will go on forever..... personally i rarely use the front....... but alot of people swear by the front only (nissan drivers in particular) but as steve said, if you have a good LSD a rear locker is kinda overkill