Thread: What GPS Unit to buy ?

Visitor

Default What GPS Unit to buy ?

I am looking at buying a GPS unit for maping 4x4 tracks

What is every one using or what can you recommend

It would be nice if it comes with 4x4 tracks loaded in it as well as being able to map my own

I am a mac user so needs to work with that not just PC

Quote Originally Posted by Steven.Boyd View Post
    I am looking at buying a GPS unit for maping 4x4 tracks

What is every one using or what can you recommend

It would be nice if it comes with 4x4 tracks loaded in it as well as being able to map my own

I am a mac user so needs to work with that not just PC
    First off as an avid Mac user also gps and mapping options are not good so I run virtual box to fire up windows just for mapping although mud maps is looking promising for iOS

Cheap Navman has crap user interface but is easy hacked to run windows mobile so you can use Ozzie explorer

Hema is the lazy option but you pay big time

If you sort out a good mount such as ram then iPhone with mud maps or memory maps is getting a better option with every release

Visitor

I use memory maps on my iPhone with the 1:25000 scale maps across NSW. The maps are old and therefore have to be taken with a pinch of salt at times but all in all I think it works well. I have to admit I don't use any functions on it, or even know what functions it has to be honest. I tend to use it as an accurate position tracker to be used in conjunction with paper maps of the area. Using both let's you get a detailed position and the bigger picture all at the same time.

I did look at getting a new GPS with off road software a while ago and was angling towards the oztopo maps from GPSOZ on a garmin unit but haven't bothered yet. Memory maps does OK for the sort of driving that I do.

Visitor

I use Androzic (free android mapping that uses ozi explorer files) I have my Hema Maps on CD and with that I have a 7" screen that is not only a navigator but a tablet as well. Cheaper than VMS or Hema and heaps more versatile

Chris

Garmin Nuvi 5" you can have street and topo maps and for the price they are OK but there are differences between models within makes Besides the topo maps are the only ones that auto route, (though not minor roads)

You might ask yourself where this is all going? With the proliferation of Apple ipads and more lately Android tablets with Google Maps, I sort of think the days of closed systems like Garmin, Navman, HEMA etc are numbered. My daughter didn't want my Navman she simply uses CO-pilot on her Iphone. I believe OziExplorer, which I have used for a couple of years now, on a WINCE tablet P, is headed for declining sales and ultimately fade away. If your a MAC junky then stick with Apple solutions IMHO.

Oziexplorer on the Android tablets is getting pretty good now as well Still quite cheap too.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Visitor

I have been looking at the VMS 700HD, It seams to do everything I want except work with the mac

Any one using the VMS system ? any problems or whats your experience with them ?

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Steven.Boyd View Post
    I have been looking at the VMS 700HD, It seams to do everything I want except work with the mac

Any one using the VMS system ? any problems or whats your experience with them ?
    VMS works great. I have several friends in another club who use them,, they are just the most expensive way to go along with Hema.