Thread: Wheel swap question

Visitor

Default Wheel swap question

Hi guys,

Can anyone see any problems swapping the older style 16inch jk wheels currently on my 07 jk for the later model 17 inch wheels from the 08 onwards jk's ?

I think the outside diameter is more important then wheel size...
    Placard states 245/75/r16 for 07's (30.5 inches)
    And if I go to the 17s i will probably put the 265/70/r17 (31.6) I'm thinking cooper st maxx

So I'm pretty sure they fit ok.. But any legal issues?

Oh an I have no lift at the moment but will probably fit a 2 inch shortly

Thanks

Drew
    Last edited by bigblue; 23-07-12 at 03:44 PM.

Visitor

Hi Drew,

I hadn't realised that the 07's had such small tyres. I knew they had 16" rims but I thought they had 245/80/16 tyres which would be near identical the later model 245/75/17's.

As far as I'm aware the wheels should fit OK as I think they're the same stud pattern. I don't think there were any other changes to the JK that would have resulted in extra clearance when they went to 17" rims in '08 (other the wheel/tyre package obviously) so I see no reason why the standard 245/75/17 tyres shouldn't fit perfectly well, even without a suspension lift. The 265/70/17's you're looking at are essentially the same rolling diameter as the standard 245/75/17's (+3.5mm I think) and so again should fit without any issues. I know a few guys running these on later model JK's and they don't give any issues. Once you step up to the 285/70/17's (probably with a 2" lift) you start to get some rubbing if you're still on standard rims but the 265/70/17's don't touch anywhere as far as I know.

In terms of legalities, as far as I'm aware legally you can only change the the rolling diameter by +/- 15mm from the tyre specified on the placard. That would mean legally both the 245/75/17's and the 265/70/17's were too big. There is talk of the +/- 15mm changing to +/- 50mm and if that happens then both tyre options would be fine. Having said that, I think you'd be extremely unlucky to get pulled up for using what is essentially the stock tyre package on later model JK's.