Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve's jk

Default Steve's jk

Well, after much deliberation and thought and looking behind the couch pillows for extra coin, I've taken the plunge and put a deposit on a new 2012 JK 4 Door Petrol. Hopefully delivered in a week.

Now the fun (and turmoil) begins.......

My biggest question at the moment is what height lift. I'm tossing between 2, 2.5 or 3". I do not intend to ever go beyond that as I need it to have as good road manners as possible, because of the longer road trips we do and due to legality issues.

Any suggestion are most welcome as I open my credit card, ouch!

ps - if any one has a set of second hand shocks to suit, let me know as this is my second dilemma.

Steve

Nice work If it was mine I'd go with as low a lift as possible that will fit 35's, so maybe 2.5" ?

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Steve - Thanks for that. I was leaning towards 2.5 after Paul was kind enough to let me go over his 4 door in depth. He has a 2.5" lift and it looks good to me.

Though I'm stuck with the 32" tyres for the time being and perhaps later a bit bigger

So you think that 2.5" can take up to 35's. That's interesting

with the 4 door you wanna go a touch higher than the 2 door, jsut due to the ramp over angle...... id be looking at a 3-4 inch lift.......jsut to get the belly up...... remember when you add bar work, skid plates etc, that 4 inch lift becomes 3.5 inch.......

Visitor

I think 35's will fit under a 2.5" lift. You might need to look at your bumps stops to stop them rubbing but they should fit. Having said that, there's a good chance you'd then need after market flares to keep it legal and you'd certainly need aftermarket wheels (or wheel spacers). You may also then want to look at re-gearing as well......which is then a great opportunity to add the lockers! Mmmm, best have a work with the minister of finance!

I agree with Rey in that the ramp over angle certainly isn't the 4dr's strong suit. If you're wanting to start hitting A grade tracks then I'd certainly be looking at a larger lift (along with the 35's and lockers). If you're wanting to be able to do what your current Grand does (or maybe a little more) then a 2.5" lift will do the job.

what about the Mopar 4" lift, this would be legal from the start. dont know how good there are though or how much.. David D..

Visitor

I've no idea what's in a Mopar 4" lift kit but at 4" you'd want to hope it was a hell of a lot more than springs and shocks. To be honest I wouldn't trust anything associated with Mopar, certainly not where suspension is concerned. What you get seems to depend on where you are so it's anybody's guess as to how good it is.

Also, I doubt their 4" lift wouldn't be legal. My understanding is that no 4" lift is legal unless it's engineered OR supplied from the factory. I'm assuming this wouldn't be engineered and nor would it be fitted at the factory. It would likely be a locally fitted accessory, even if you ordered it through Jeep on a brand new car. That's my understanding of what they do with the Mopar 2" lift.

The AEV lifts get a good rep. Their 3.5" kit is supposed to excellent and they've just released a 2.5" kit as well (though these use control arm drop brackets rather than adjustable lower control arms to sort out the caster). Their 2.5" kit would likely be my choice if I was getting a US kit to fit to a petrol JK.

Well the list has started (and I've yet to see the new vehicle)
    After much research I've decided on a 3" lift due to the LWB JK as Rey mentioned.

Most of the stuff has been ordered and all I have outstanding is the choice of shocks. I'm pretty sure with 3" (& appropriate bump stops) I need 25.5" shocks for the front & 27.5" for the rear. What people using for shocks?

Steve Mate,

Welcome to the JK world of "MAN BARBIE" just buy stuff any stuff it's GREAT!!

Cheers

Andy&Charl

I'm still waiting for delivery. urgh!

Hopefully will arrive soon and before Jambo. At least I have all the peripheral stuff ready to install.

Any one who has experience with the JK want to help me out can let me know please ASAP ( I know tuff with Jambo coming up but it's cutting it close).
    Also where is good to get alignment especially Jeep caster etc around Sydney?