Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve's jk

Basically need to keep the same resistance in the circuit..... Seeing as LEDs don't draw as much power, you need to add more load to the system in order for them to work.

As mentioned. Ive got the interior leds working. They are something I can highly recommend
    I simply had a brain lapse

I like SteveF would like to upgrade exterior lights but need different types/style
    The hunt continues

I wanted to move the Warn Winch control box under the hood, to maximise air flow into the engine and through the grill mesh, as well as provide some protection & security

My intention is as always to avoid drilling holes or at least to minimise/hide them. So far I have not drilled anything.

Before I started I emailed Warn (who have always been prompt and responsive) I asked what I should do before I started. They advised that having the control box under the hood is fine also I need to keep the main power cable as short as possible but I would have to increase the 3 x black motor cables from SAE 2 to SAE 1 (or 1 B&S Copper cable as it's known in Oz). I estimated I needed 3 x 2m of black 1B&S cables plus lugs to reach the control box from the winch. The hunt began which ended up a 2 day search as not many companies stock this size . Finally found it on ebay but it was costly at $90 delivered.
    To ensure hood clearance and easy, in case I use the main warn supplied control switch, I drilled a hole in front of the control box, moved the plug from the top to the front and it seems to work OK. I've already set up a in-cab kill & toggle switch to control the winch.

Just waiting for the delivery of the 3 cables to finalise the install.

Default Under the Bonnet

Here is a images or two of my relocated control Box.

Bonnet4.jpgBonnet2.jpg

Visitor

looking good Steve

Will have to get it out again soon

Did you seal up the original hole in the top of the control box to stop any liquid or dirt getting in?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven.Boyd View Post
    looking good Steve

Will have to get it out again soon

Did you seal up the original hole in the top of the control box to stop any liquid or dirt getting in?
    Yes I do need to seal the top, with a piece of plastic and pop rivets/glue. but of course, you can never find a small piece of plastic when you need it..........

Funnily enough, I'm surprised how poorly sealed these boxes are. water and crap can always enter.

I must get a life ----- I ended up doing two jobs on the JK over last few days.

I like the idea of LED lit foot wells. They are cheap as chips & for under $9 for both sides with wiring attached delivered, it's just too cheap, besides they give you a warm fuzzy feeling, ha. Currently I have a switch to turn them on/off but I'm trying to find out how to make them come on automatically, when head lights come on & also when the courtesy lights do, when you unlock. They look cool in blue.

Also bought (under the wife's radar) an Ark Pack at the 4wd show at a real good price to use camping.

Hope to set it up in the cargo area which connects using an anderson plug & 4B&S cable to the main battery via a projecta dual battery system.. It's practical and can easily be removed from the Jeep and power what ever you need, where ever you need.

Just waiting on my H/duty 1B&S cables to connect the winch control box and delivery of the the special Suspension bolts from DBOR as Miraz, recommended a while back.

Then I'm finally finished modding the JK.

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    Then I'm finally finished modding the JK.
    You don't believe that any more than I do!

I looked at the Ark Power Pack as well. Can't make my mind up between one of them or getting something similar made up to my own spec by the local battery guys. I need to get something sorted as the old battery I was using when we went camping died a few months ago.

Paul, our 2nd battery is 65ah. Thumper Pack, by Blue Apple.com.au. It is a gel cell battery with an in car charging system. The thumper will run our 47 litre fridge/freezer for 3 days.

When camping the thumper runs the fridge and gets charged on the way to our destination. On arrival at the campsite the fridge and thumper are removed from the Jeep and placed in the tent, also Maggie uses the thumper to run the camp shower.
    Last edited by Bear; 16-10-12 at 09:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Visitor

Thanks. Certainly another option to look at.