Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Steve's jk

Was that the only way, or could you have gone around it some way??

Wallyd Most people went up then back down to travel another way across the Simpson. But I can't really be positive. Though I do know that many people who were pulling vans and trailers unhitched them(left them somewhere secure) before they went across the Simpson doing camping. presumably picking them up again on their return

There are a couple of tracks over Big Red, and a way (the long way) around it too. But you can only get a sticker saying "I Conquered Big Red" if you have!!!

In the next year or two, I'm going back (depends on when we do the Cape again). For a full desert crossing ideally! NO camper trailers!!

Steve, those are some awesome pix, looks like you had a great time, and I am really, really jealous!!!

Dave

Dave
    It exceeded my expectations. I want to go back and have Cobar Chinese again!!

I have a couple of ideas to do next year too. Angela mentioned , she'd like to do in no particular order:
    Flinders Ranges
    Kakadu
    Alice/Ularu or Darwin and surrounds
    Might look into freighting the Jeep one way and driving back. Do you know about that?

What you think?
    or even a a gold fosiking week some where with metal detectors. never done that before but there are companies that you can tag along with and they will teach it for you. Intesting

Visitor

Glad you had a great time Steve. Syl and I are planning the same in a couple of years to the Cape, Kakadu, somewheres, somewheres.

Spoke to the owner at

Miners DenGold Prospecting Equipment - North Parramatta, NSW

411 Church St, North Parramatta NSW 2151

An extremely knowledgeable bloke with all the pans and detectors you might want. Give them a ring if you're interested and finding out more about tag along tours. I've used them detectors a couple of times, gave it up however as I found it to be a bit on the slow side, but that's just me..

What range would you need as a minimum? I'm thinking 1000k's to be safe. The GC is crap for range at the moment but will get longer ranger & aero tanks done sometime.

Sal When I had my WG it had an aux tank of extra 65l from memory plus the stock 72. On the open road, the grand gave me about the same as the JK except around town it was shocking. Surprisingly when I had the stock 29" tyres I would get about 11.5/100 on the open road. just shows about gearing effects.
    To be safe you need at least 750k in case you need to detour or back track for some reason. Naturally, in the steep, slow stuff that would blow out considerably.

Visitor

Cheers Steve.

Visitor

Sounds like you had a great trip Steve,glad that your wife enjoyed it as well. I have just returned from a similar trip,had four days notice of going so no pressure setting up the JK. Sydney Bourke Plenty Highway to East McDonnalds Ruby Gap fossiking for Rubies (garnets) Arltunga gold mineing town Trephina Gorge down to Alice on to Palm Valley Kings Canyon Uluru Olga's then across to Finke via LAMBERTS CENTRE OF AUSTRALIA on to Mount Dare Dalhousie Springs for a wash then Oodnadatta to Marree into the Flinders Ranges for another walk,no soles left on boots, Broken Hill Menindee Lakes for a swim,Ivanhoe Lake Cargelligo Parkes to home,7530 Klm's 1 battery, broken awning bracket (fixed bush style) cracked roof rack bracket (fixed by webbing strap) lots of fuel,lots of corrugations,lots of fun,all done in a shorty JK.Vast open spaces,abundant wild life,swimming in clear pools( cold,it is winter!) expect to get dirty( it

Visitor

Expect to get dirty(it is very dry out there) bush camping for most of the time cooking on open fires watching the stars sleeping out in the open( it only lightly rained in the Flinders over night once) yes we did get to use four wheel drive quite a bit.Already planning next trip and mods( must beef up suspension), otherwise JK did the job perfectly.Regards Dick.

Default Steve's jk

Nice to hear Dick. Im also looking fwd to next years trip havnt decided where yet but down to a few ideas.
    If anyone is interested in a accommodation style (though you could camp). Please show your interest and suggestions
    Im also contemplating viability doing the trip with my furry kid!
    Steve