Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve's jk

Steve we use 98 octane petrol, a little more expensive, but the Jeep gets more Kms per tankful than other grades of fuel.

i use e10 with no adverse effects,no pinging. i ran it on 98 and found no real differences in economy or performance. have fun with it Steve. cheers David D.

Not that this is relevant to the JK but I used to run E10 in the XJ and it would ping on hot days and on climbs. Once I fitted a snorkel it lowered the intake temperature and now it runs fine on E10 and has for years now no matter the grade of climb or airtemp. High Octane fuel will help reduce pinging with high under bonnet/engine temps but bring them down and you wont get pre-detenation and can run a lower octane fuel.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Interesting - The manual states that it need to use minimum 91 and that "the use of premium gasoline is not recommended as it will not provide any benefit over regular gasoline in these engines". It does however say not to use ethanol above 10%

Perhaps the new 3.6l is different so Im confuse

My first hurdle of "upgrading" was the installation of a tow Hitch. I think the newer JK model has a different rear bumper with the plate sitting directly under the spare on the bumper. Needed to trim the low hanging plastic of the bumper to keep it in line with the bottom of the bumper, so the hitch protrudes out.
    So now I need to move the plate and have a light - I want to attached it centred on the spare.
    Where can I get a plate holder that does exactly that ?
    ThanksBar.jpg
    Last edited by SteveC; 15-09-12 at 05:41 PM.

ARB or KAYMAR make them! Come and get it dirty on Sun and you can see how I have mine set up.( That sounds so much better than "have a look at mine!! LOL)

Cheers

Andytop (2).jpg

ARB have a number plate relocation bracket that will do what you are looking for.

Thanks - Ill check them out.
    Ive also come across:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangle...db5d24&vxp=mtr

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    My first hurdle of "upgrading" was the installation of a tow Hitch. I think the newer JK model has a different rear bumper with the plate sitting directly under the spare on the bumper. Needed to trim the low hanging plastic of the bumper to keep it in line with the bottom of the bumper, so the hitch protrudes out.
    So now I need to move the plate and have a light - I want to attached it centred on the spare.
    Where can I get a plate holder that does exactly that ?
    ThanksBar.jpg
    No, unfortunately all Aus JK's get the number plate down there. No idea why they can't use the US bumper which has the number plate to one side and doesn't have that bottom section.......probably due to some ADR rule somewhere.

As others have said, there are a few relocation kits around that either allow you to re-use the stock lights or provide new ones. Jeep themselves must also have one I guess as they sell the tow bars. I also saw something interesting the other day on AJOR. Someone had fitted one of the Vector Offroad Exo Racks which looked good. They fit over the rear wheel allowing you space to put your number plate but also giving a platform to mount camp lights/reversing lights or rear vision cameras as well. I was thinking about getting one of these when I eventually pull my finger out and get a tow bar fitted to mine.

Steve & Paul,

Don't get the JEEP one! It attaches with two metal bars that poke through the Spare wheel spokes, so to change the spare tyre you firstly have to undo the two pissy nuts, then unplug the electrics, then without loosing all the bits change the tyre and put it all back together.