Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Rock Sliders To Get

Thanks guy.
    I'll probably wait till I see it in the flesh. ooohhh only a few more days.... and the WJ is now gone, quite sad really

BTW Where do you get those inserted grill meshes? I think it's a good idea to protect the radiator

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    BTW Where do you get those inserted grill meshes? I think it's a good idea to protect the radiator
    There are a few different ones you can get. You can get ones specifically made for the JK (they've been fitted to a few special edition JK's by Jeep). I know places like Quadratec will have them and I'd guess the dealers will as well but I didn't think it was worth paying their prices. I've seem some people make it out of the rigid aluminium mesh sheets (you can get various colour from Supercheap and places like that) and people usually just zip tie it on using little plastic self adhesive tabs (might need to glue to the tabs on as the self adhesive tape might not be up to the job). I used a flexible mesh sheet rather than the rigid aluminium. I think I got it from Autobarn. I then just formed it around the shape of openings, glueing it all the way around to make sure it was tight and making sure it would be fixed strongly enough to withstand a decent size rock hitting it as those openings are quite big. Doesn't look too pretty from the back but it looks OK from the front and it's not fallen off yet!

Quote Originally Posted by DLE068 View Post
    All depends on what u want Steve. Body mounted or chassis. Either way they both have there pro n cons.
    The chassis mounted can be on the heavy side. The body mounted are lighter.
    Beg to differ on this - some of the body mounted ones are much heavier than the chassis mounted.
    I personally would select body mounted over chassis mounter every time.

I really appreciate all your comments but Now you guys are confusing me..

Visitor

Hi Steve,

There lots of different types of body mounted sliders and some will be far stronger than others.

There are some that fix underneath the body but also come up onto the side of the body and are bolted to the side (Poison Spyder style) and I think these would be very strong and would transfer any forces to wider area of the body and therefore provide good protection. The reason I don't like them is that I don't want to be drilling a dozen holes in each side of the JK. Basically once they're fitted you can't take them off without leaving your JK looking like someone's been shooting at it! There are also loads of different sliders that attach in the same way the Rubicon sliders do (or the stock side steps) which fix to the pinch seams. These are the ones that I would question the strength of, not so much of the slider itself but of the body work it's attached to. That said there are plenty of folks who've used (and abused) them without issues. I'd just have a look around a few peoples when you get a chance and see which you think you prefer.

Visitor

Jambo going to be a good place to see what u want n what u don't want. There are just so many to choose from Steve, I had the same problem. I chose one found out they weighed nearly 50kg each u don't need that sort of weight on your car. Plus they came naked, u had to get them powder coated yourself.
    Some come in alloy, but that just defeats the purpose of having a slider.
    Just hang out for Jambo mate trawl the net see what u like then try to find them at Jambo.

Thanks all. Yes I think jambo will be good place to chk out

Visitor

I have a pair of Blackjack Welding's Sidestep Extremes. They are a chassis mount (attach using the bolts that hold the body to the chassis rails), and include a step with expanded mesh over either the outer bar or, in my case, flat across the top. It is all bead blasted so no really sharp edges & well powder coated. Love 'em! Tough & makes it easy for the kids to get in & out, and made in Perth.

Linky: JK WRANGLER 4 OR 2 DOOR SIDE STEPS EXTREME

Visitor

Ive got the blackjack welding, very strong, very happy , easy to fit