Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Rock Sliders To Get

Default What Rock Sliders To Get

Any one suggest what rock rail/sliders are good for the the 4 door JK?

Really need some advice well before Jamboree

Visitor

PM sent Steve

The poly one are pretty good IMO

Visitor

There are so many available, particularly if you look overseas. Are you looking for a rock slider style (ie something close to the body purely to protect the sills) or more of a side step style?

I like the look of the rock slider closer style ones but my girlfriend is only 5ft and struggles to get in and out without some sort of step so they're not really practical for me. I also like the side step style as they give more protection to the side of the JK and in particular the door hinges from flying debris from the front wheels.

I don't personally like the ones that fix to the body. They look neater and give greater clearance but I don't like the idea of fixing something to a thin sheet metal body when I expected it to take the weight of the car being dropped on it. Any deformation or twisting of the slider will then be transferred directly to the body panels which makes me nervous, especially if you're looking at the side step ones as they stick further out and are therefore able to apply greater force to the mounting points when used in anger. Now I've got absolutely nothing to back up my theory that this isn't a good idea but I'd personally not want to fit them to mine.

I'm looking for something that is chassis mounted, either directly onto the chassis rails or using the body mounts. I'm in the process of getting some Smittybilt SRC ones as I like the design and they are fairly cheap BUT one of the reasons they're cheap is that the dimensional tolerances aren't know to be the best. The first set I got didn't fit and I'm getting a second set sent to me. If they don't fit then I'll just try another brand. If you're looking local (or at least Australian) then Blackjack Welding make a few different versions and his stuff is renowned for being bullet proof. Maxflex 4x4 also made some that bolted on which I quite liked, with the exception of one of the brackets that used a U clamp around the chassis rail that hung quite low. Macquarie 4x4 do a weld on one (well, the bracket is welded on and then the rocks rails/steps bolt to the brackets) and they look good but they're not cheap.

Visitor

All depends on what u want Steve. Body mounted or chassis. Either way they both have there pro n cons.
    The chassis mounted can be on the heavy side. The body mounted are lighter.

My wj had ones bolted to chassis but braced under the sill but also had a tube that ran parrallel which gave it strength
    Id like some thing similar

Cant have it bolted to the chassis and the body on a JK, they are seperate, unlike the WJ, and it will do damage as they flex seperatley.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Understood Stevef.
    Therefore I prefer the ones that bolt to chassis but dont they rest under the sill as well? Just like the jks ones i had on the wj
    I wonder if i could modify the jks as long as thay fit smartly

I wouldn't think they could rest under the sill, any flex and you'd be damaging the sill, there would have to be a reasonable gap to allow for that.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Visitor

You can get an idea of how much the body moves in relation to the chassis looking at this shot of mine taken by Alex on the Cox's river run.

The plastic fantastic (not) front bumper is chassis mounted and the wheel flares are body mounted. The gap between is almost nothing on the passenger side in this shot and still maybe 1" on the drivers side. The gaps are normally equal.

This movement is over exaggerate by looking at the bumper/flares as the flares are a lot further away from the body mounts and will therefore move a greater distance as they effectively move in an arc. The amount of movement seen at the sills will be less as they are much closer to the body mounts. If you do go for the chassis mounted ones then I'd say they need to be kept maybe half an inch away from the sills to be safe.