Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tyre pressure advice needed....

Thanks guys.....

Will try talking to Mickey T and say what they say. Will run at lower pressures probably 15 from next time..... Just another question... My old STTs were Load rated D.... These MTZs are Load rated E... Will this require lower pressures to acieve same amount of bagging out....... Washed the car and re checked the tyres. the chipping is moderate and not as extreme as it first apeared....

Cheers
    Mani

Visitor

E load rated tyres will have stiffer side walls and so require lower pressures than D load rated. I thought the 285/70/17's we generally D rated though (the 265/70/17's are usually E rated for some reason).

Just checked on the MT website and the 285's are 8 ply (which I thought was equivalent to D rating) where as the 265's are 10 ply.

Mine are in pretty bad shape but I'm not kind to them at all any more. Don't even bother airing up until I get to a servo. I run them at 12psi off road and until i air up (sometimes 40km after i get on the asphault) and even though they are missing half the lugs they give good grip and have not had problems yet :P
    Ill be kinder to the 40s when i get them :P

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
    Yep, I found the KM2's dont seem to chip at all (my Maxxis Bighorns did), I run them pretty low (15psi) off road though as the XJ is quite light and the 35's pretty stiff. When we were doing reccies for Jambo there were a couple of times where I didn't air down on impromptu trips through the tracks back to the main road and even at 30psi no chipping or traction issues.

Cheers
    Steve
    On my XJ I'd generally drop to 12PSI and on a few occassions went to 8-10PSI.
    I've always thought a most of people run too much pressure in their tyres which means they are generally more suseptable to tyre damage (& miss out from more traction).
    IMHO if you aren't accasionally poping a bead chances are you are running too much pressure.

Visitor

The only down side to running low pressures, say 12 psi and less, is that i have found it more likely to get muck or grit trapped in bead. Usually have a deflated tyre after sitting in garage for a few days.

Beadlocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by D.K. View Post
    The only down side to running low pressures, say 12 psi and less, is that i have found it more likely to get muck or grit trapped in bead. Usually have a deflated tyre after sitting in garage for a few days.
    Yep, even at 15 I had to occasionally pop the bead off at home and clean the crap out to stop a slow leak.

Cheers
    Steve

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Public Officer - Member #076

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
    Yep, even at 15 I had to occasionally pop the bead off at home and clean the crap out to stop a slow leak.

Cheers
    Steve

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    That's just par for the course when playing in the goop.
    But how many times did you lose a bead on the trail?

Visitor

mani i recommend you experiment with lower pressures while leaking beads are a pain the gains are worthwhile.
    i run my 35baja claws well below 10 psi i am addicted to how this improves grip and makes life easy on the drive train.
    i do have beadlocks which have their pros and cons too.
    in my experience on a dry run not much chance of developing a leaky bead but when its wet or your hitting every bog hole thats another story.

I used to run as low as 5psi with the maxxis creepy crawlers now I run good years down about 10 psi