Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Rydal - Mt Walker Sunday 24 March 2013

Visitor

One of the pulley's decided to shit itself and the bering collapsed and got spat out, dropped the belt and shredded it.

So new pulley bering and a new belt and a very expensive tow truck

I have NRMA on the daily drive but not on the jeep, I think i should add the jeep to it to

It time to strip the TJ down for a full service and maintenance. A bit of TLC required

Hmmmm, remember I said it sounded odd. Not that u could have done anything

did someone say v8 conversion?

Visitor

Would love to put a V8 in the TJ Just a little costly at the moment. Got other mods to do first

One more video

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Hunty View Post
    Greg
    I really enjoyed the trip today, well lead, well planned - thanx heaps mate cheers Hunty

Cheffy, Maaaaaaaaaate great display of sphincter clenching driving LoL you truly have balls of titanium!!

Thanks for the footage Hunty (and getting it up here before I even got home), sure looks a lot tamer from outside of the TJ for a while there I thought to myself "so this is what it's like in the shuttle" in the seat on your back looking at the sky..... Thanks to Wally for spotting me out of it. Balls of titanium or not I know it took a hot shower and another couple of hours to relax enough to finally un-clench my but cheeks and fall asleep. Thank you to Greg for leading an amazing track I have long wanted to do, a big thanks to Stephen who jumped out to spot for me on a couple of tight ones (my first experience with front lockers) and to Wally and thanks to all for a great day in great company in a beautiful location, hope to more of the same real soon. The only downer on an otherwise great day was Stephen's TJ doing a pulley and fan belt on the way home.
    Hope to see you all again on the trails.

Shefy

Nice action there Sheffy, Are you sure you meant to nearly put it on it's side (: ??

I wish I'd come along looked like a great time had by all but a 50th birthday was in the way boriiiinnnnggg

Thanks for the comments, and for the video footage posted by Hunty & Steve. I had my new GoPro running, but it was on the dash and between the dust on the windscreen and the sun seemingly always directly ahead, my footage is not worth posting. Also, the advantage of leading (no dust) is offset by not having another Jeep in the movie.

A mini trip report:
    Our group (Ian - Flatfender; Andy & Charl; Steve F; Doggy Dave, Hunty & myself) got away from Richmond at 7:40am (a few late drop-out and one no-show) and had a good run up Bells Line of Road, although a very long 60 zone and some fog slowed us a little. Straight through Lithgow & we aired down as we turned off the GWH opposite the Wallerawang turnoff. We were on a way by 9am, and took a windy route through the area formerly covered in pine trees, now more like a moonscape, with one short rutted climb to start.
    Almost to the Rydal showground to meet up with the campers backing up from the Saturday trip (Steve Boyd, Dave Elliot, Shefy Alon & our visitor yesterday and newest member today, Wally) we encountered a very slow group of nine vehicles struggling up what I thought was a transit stage. A radio call to Steven, and they were on their way, while we doubled back to the next turnoff and only had to wait a few minutes for them to arrive, having been able to overtake the group of nine. Meanwhile, another group of eight vehicles (having a fun day after having done 4WD driver training) passed us on that same busy corner.

We then had a good run (doing the 2 climbs in Steve's first video - the second made famous by Maggie just prior to Jambo), until we caught the second group at the Coxs River section. We only waited a few minutes, then followed them through, and they pulled over to loop back, while we continued to Unimog Hill (Steve's second video), then down to the 'bog-hole' (by-pass in play - we even got a shouted warning from some fishermen not to go though the bog-hole). Then onto a steep rutted climb, where Shefy provided some action for Hunty's camera work, and then on to Mt Walker, where we had lunch at the mid-point.

A fairly standard run back to the GWH at the same point we entered, and on the bitumen to head home at about 2:15pm. Unfortunately for Steve B and pulley & fan belt stopped him, and a few of us spent about an hour watching Hunty, Steve & Andy play McGyver (while we watched). Glad to hear you made it home OK, Steven, albeit a bit lighter in the pocket.

Thanks to all who came along and made my first club trip as leader such good fun. I'll certainly be posting up some more trips soon.

Greg

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    Nice action there Sheffy, Are you sure you meant to nearly put it on it's side (: ??

I wish I'd come along looked like a great time had by all but a 50th birthday was in the way boriiiinnnnggg
    It takes lots of practice, careful and meticulous planning and flawless execution...... what can I say, I could teach you the required skills but there's also the natural talent element to it