Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help advice, mayb a job at wooders garage

Visitor

Exclamation Help advice, mayb a job at wooders garage

Hey guys after seeing my jeep zj today nearly finished at the auto elec I had a decent look at the tjm (t16 high loop nugde bar) I no these bars are usually a softer metal but the mounting point is solid what looks to be 10mm steel that is welded onto tubing, now what I've though of doing for recovery points is where the crossmember for the nugde bar is joint where the spot lights are usually mounted is putting a 10mm backing plate as well as a front 10mm plate and attaching recovery shackles. The problem is as I'm no expert on nigde bars would this work, or would I end up ripping the crossmember out

Or the other opinion is working something out on the mounting point which is solid steel 10mm plate which would be drilling 16mm holes on the plate putting a rated shackle in and just using a equalising strap, and being pulled, towed out of trouble with that recovery set up, again I'm not a expert about this so ANY ADVICE is a start thanks a lot guys

If you don't understand the nudge bar set up type in on google tjm t16 high loop nugde bar. Look at images. Same as the black toyota hilux
    Cheers guys

Mitch
    Last edited by 98ZJ; 10-04-13 at 06:54 PM.

Mitch,

have talk with Dave, he probably do a lay- by purchase on things you need.
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!

Visitor

image.jpgCheers mate sent him a pm, also found a better idea the best safest and easiest, where the nugde bar is mounted to the chassis put 10mm plates behind the nudge bar mount, run the plates vertically down, drill a 16mm hole at the end of the plate which will clean the bottom of the bumper (may even cut a slot out of the bumper to allow for more room) put a heavy duty shackle in. That way it's all connected to the chassis. And cost will be about $30 get the steel from work, and beer from the bottle shop hahahaha
    Last edited by 98ZJ; 10-04-13 at 08:49 PM.

Sorry to say Mitch, but unless its a rated recovery point I won't be recovering you.
    no offence but I've already had a one such incident where the recovery point, bolts and all hit the back of my car under full load.

You can utilise your current tie down point/bracket. You will need to get the tie down doubled in thickness a use rated bolts to put back on and get another one made for the other side and then you can spread the load across both of them........... Better still get two secondhand one's already made up.......... I wonder who's got some??.......... You will have to trim the outer plastic grill down (on the bumper) for access to the recovery point/s for decent schackle.
    JC Member# 094

Visitor

I was also looking at that but I'm now thinking just getting wooders zj points they bolt right on aye?

Quote Originally Posted by 98ZJ View Post
    I was also looking at that but I'm now thinking just getting wooders zj points they bolt right on aye?
    Couple of extra hole to be drilled but yes & they work well. What about the rear? do you have a tow bar/ receiver hitch type.

Visitor

Hey hunno, I've got a hitch receiver so the back the working load limit is 4.7t the jeep weights 2.7t is I recall, it's just the front and really it's a dumb idea going 4wd with no front recovery, 4wd wise I want to, go on sand, easy 4wd tracks and touring sort of thing, hardcore 4wd isn't my thing yet, it's just money which if I need wooders front hook set up ill have to just bite the bullet

also hunno if I was to get wooders is there a chance you could give me a hand ??

Quote Originally Posted by 98ZJ View Post

also hunno if I was to get wooders is there a chance you could give me a hand ??
    Yer not a problem

Visitor

Orite beautiful hopefully it's sooner rather than later, what was your name?
    Cheersss