Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ball joint press

Default Ball joint press

Hi all. I am in need of a ball joint press kit. Can someone tell me if they are available for hire, of if someone might have one I could borrow, or hire. I have a wobbly drivers side I need to change ASAP. I will be ordering from dbor, to hopefully have in my hands by Tuesday. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. Even if you call or text me some intel..... 0410310703.

Cheers
    Wally

Visitor

Speak to the Wooden man. He was talking about getting some more in and possibly hiring them out but not sure if he ordered them. Speaking from experience (I kind of monopolised the last 2 toolbox days ) I can say that the kit he has works well but a damn long socket wrench is a significant advantage to get some leverage. I think the one I was using at Dave's was about 1.5m long.

Cheers. I just got my hands on a used one off gumtree.... This will be fun!!!!

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Wallyd View Post
    Cheers. I just got my hands on a used one off gumtree.... This will be fun!!!!
    After seeing what Paul-JK went through, fun is a different word for it...

Visitor

I had fun watching....

Did u use one of these though?

Visitor

Default Ball joint press

Looks to be kitted out to around the same extent as the one @ Wooders

Visitor

That looks similar but the one Wooders has has a few more bits than that. I don't know how many of the extra bits were needed for a JK but it has a few more.

One that you do need specifically is cup with an angle face. The inner face of the "C" is not flat so when you're pressing the top ball joint back in it's good to have a cup with the same angle on it as the inner face of the C so that one counters the other allowing the clamp to push the ball joint squarely into the hole. Now you don't strictly speaking need the angled cup. You can do it by stacking washers under one side of a flat cup to create the angle but that's just more pieces to hold in place while you're trying to set it up. A second set of hands are certainly a help when doing this!

Part one of my ball joint replacement. All pulled apart, just waiting on my tool to arrive in the mail and I can pull the balls out and push the new ones in!!!!

Pop the replacement ball joints in the freezer for 6 hours or so before trying to fit them