Thread: Grinding in 2nd. Synchro?

Default Grinding in 2nd. Synchro?

Hi Jeepers

My 2001 wrangler TJ is grinding in 2nd gear. I suspect this has been heading this way for sometime but I didn't really notice the signs. Now I've been quoted $1500 for a new synchro box by a 'jeep' service centre who told me they will have to send it out to another workshop that does this type of work, and the car will be off the road for about a week. I refused a reconditioned one. They're going to call around for quotes so in the meantime I'm just wondering if I'm being ripped off or is this about par for this type of fix? Considering they couldn't 'replicate' the issue when I left it with them and I had to go back to the workshop and take it for a drive myself to show them...I'm doubtful. I don't trust anyone when it comes to my pride and joy.

It's only grinding in 2nd at the moment - no problems with the other gears. Looking back, it has had a couple of issues with second but I just thought it was playing up (bouncing out of gear, finding it hard to get it into gear - no grinding though).

Any advice much appreciated.

No need to change the gearbox, my mate had the same problem after searching the web he replaced the manual transmission with redline mt-90, after it was replaced he reckons the gear shifting was better than whe he first bought it, now it's been 5yrs and know issues.
    http://stu-offroad.com/misc/maint.htm/

Thanks mate. That's what I figured