Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie + Accessory questions

Visitor

ATV in Five Dock or Mitchell Brothers on the North Shore.. They will hook you up (see what I did there? hook??)

DBOR will soon be stocking lots of goodies for WK2's...

Hey Slik, I'd be looking at getting the GC Vinyl wrapped , cheep paint insurance. Clear wrap, stops the bush pin striping, then just peel it off before you sell it. cheers Doggy Dave..

Secretary

Hey Dave
    Have you had your JK vinyl wrapped? If so where did you have it done and if you don't mind me asking what would this possibly cost?
    cheers,
    rich

Visitor

Hi Rich,

There are 2 different types of vinyl wrapping, but neither are cheap..........

There's the thinner decorative vinyl that you get for changing the colour of a car (matt black wraps, turning the car into a giant red bull can, etc). While it'll stave off a few light scratches I imagine it's fairly easy to damage in terms of off road abuse. Cost anywhere between $2k and $4-5k depending on what you want done I think. Plain matt colours being the cheapest. Fancy printed glossy graphics being the most expensive.

Then there's a thicker vinyl that you can get. I've got it on my JK. I got it under the pretence off stopping the logos I have getting scratched off but as an added bonus it stops the bush pin striping as well. It's a product called Ozi Cozi and it's originally developed to cover nose cone area of expensive sports cars I think to stop them getting stone chips. It does a damn good job of stopping scratches as well though. I was put onto it by Vic Widman who runs Great Divide Tours. He had his 'Cruiser wrapped in it, over all of his logos, and it stood up to 7 or 8 years of his sort of off road abuse (he'll spend a lot more time off road than most). He's actually just taken it off, along with all of the other graphics, as he's selling that 'Cruiser to get another and once it was removed the paint work was as good as it was when he put it on. I've got it down both sides (front fender, both doors including around the windows, b pillar, door sills & rear fender), around the windscreen & across the bonnet. Cost me about $1500 from Surfacetech in Artarmon. Not cheap but I consider it an investment, and it's already paid for itself in preventing damage to the A pillar, both front and rear passenger side window surrounds and the B pillar when I hit what looked like a light branch at about 50km an hour that was hiding a thicker branch behind it. I was certain it would have dented the A pillar with the force I hit it and at the very least it should have scratched the paint off every panel it hit. As it is it left some heavy scratches in the ozi cozi but you'll never know they were there if I ever take it off. The plastic does get pin striping scratches but you can only see them if you're looking for them.

Have a look if you like next time I see you, or pop around if you're interested as I'm only up at Mount Colah.

Secretary

Thanks for the great info Paul, much appreciated.