Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Allow myself to introduce...... myself

Default Allow myself to introduce...... myself

Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    Thats not WallyD's daily drive there in the second photo either :P (sorry bud )
    Drives just as well as my lancer

If it didn't burn so much fuel compared to my lancer, I'd use it all day.

Visitor

Now I regret not going for a rubi!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallyd View Post
    Drives just as well as my lancer

If it didn't burn so much fuel compared to my lancer, I'd use it all day.
    Last edited by DanD; 08-09-13 at 10:22 AM.

Visitor

There are probably 2 schools of thought whether or not to go Rubi or Sport.
    The Rubi option has all the obvious boxes ticked re vehicle capability, blah, blah.

The other school of thought which is probably more relevant to seasoned Jeepers who want to go for full on high ticket items, such as Atlas Transfer Case, Currie Rockjocks or DynaTrac 60 axles, Exotic suspension setups , then getting a Rubi would be a waste because you will be pulling the Rubi components out anyway.

Probably not an issue for you, but as usual its never black and white and when the Jeepin bug bites hard you are doomed. Ha Ha.

Visitor

With DK on this one. For a noob prolly a Rubi. Seasoned Jeepers are crrrraaaazyyyyy. . No offense about using the words noob / crazy, I hope. I'm kidding and apologize before hand..

Visitor

I'm with Wally, if my Rubi didn't burn so much fuel I'd drive it everyday. My 2013 barina 5.5ltr/100km.

Visitor

Ok, so it's not as clear cut as I thought it would be, and very subjective. i appreciate WallyDs reply as someone who has upgraded to a Rubicon from a sport.

Remember my primary goal is offroad camping, not off roading for it's own sake, so I am not likely to be spending hundreds and thousands on bigger and better bits all the time.

I would like a bit of a lift, just because it looks good and it is a longer wheelbase than the 2Dr, but that's really about it. I don't want to wait for a custom built jobbie, so if i do get a Rubicon, it has to be one I can find on a lot ready to go, I could buy from anywehere on the east coast, no problem flying to Qland or Vic and driving back.

Having said that, I know that my thoughts could change once things get going. I have done a little mild off roading, more sand than rock, I took a fateful trip to Fraser island in an Asia Motors Rocsta a couple of years ago. blew the head gasket and warped the head. not sure if the warping happenned getting off the island, or on the drive back to Sydney. Either way I pushed the car beyond it's limits. (and my darling wife right up to the edge of hers ). So I definately would like the car to be capable of whatever trip I'm doing. Yeah, but probably more dirt, mud, sand, as I am partial to the coast and a SCUBA Diver.

So here's new question, or let me put it another way;

If I decide to get a Rubicon, and if we accept that the Rubicon is around 10 grand more than a sport, is it cost effective?, or is it better to get a sport, beef up the front axle to Dana 44, add sway bar disconnect (manual or otherwise) etc, to bring the sport up to the Rubicon capability? has anyone done this or priced it?

Visitor

I'd say go the Rubi as well. You would want to get the Sports to go past the std Rubi, not up to the Rubi, ie: D60's and 35s or 37s, Sway Bars and Lockers front and rear, etc. If not, the Rubi would be great for when you want more than offroad camping as it is infectious and guarantee to empty your pockets.

Did some B+ trails in Moab in a 4" lifted, 33s Rubi and it was fantastic. An extremely capable vehicle but it could not keep up with others who were on 35s up to 44s and choppers flying over the terrain, obviously.

We dive too and looking at the Yongala in the not too distant future. Where do you go, water is warming up..
    Last edited by AV8; 09-09-13 at 11:07 AM.

Visitor

Hi AV8

By 33s 35s 37s and 44s are you referring to rim size?

Visitor

Hi Mate, noooooo.. Not wheel size.

That would be too much bling and wayyy past mallcrawler territory.

They're tyres to fit usually 15"/16"/17" rims.