Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Allow myself to introduce...... myself

Visitor

Right, i need to get to a meeting and kick some tyres

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Nixolus View Post
    If I decide to get a Rubicon, and if we accept that the Rubicon is around 10 grand more than a sport, is it cost effective?, or is it better to get a sport, beef up the front axle to Dana 44, add sway bar disconnect (manual or otherwise) etc, to bring the sport up to the Rubicon capability? has anyone done this or priced it?
    You'd also need to look at diff ratios and transfer cases to get a Sport to a Rubi spec. If you're just going to build it to a Rubi spec then it'd be easier to just buy a Rubi. At least it's all covered under warranty then.

From what you've described that you want from the JK, I think you'd be better off getting a sport and spending some of the 10k on a decent suspension kit (something that can handle the weight of your camping gear for a start) and tyres. Do that and you'll have a JK that'd likely take you as far or further than you're willing to push it anyway and you'll still have 5k in your pocket for when the mod'ing bug bites.......which it will!

Also, I'd not be that confident about finding a Rubi in the yards. They're usually on 6-9 month back order so they'd be a rare thing to find just sitting there waiting for you. You'll also be able to haggle on pricing of Sport a lot more than you can with the Rubi.

If you do know exactly what you want (colour, spec etc) then have a word with someone like Private Fleet. They can source cars from all over Australia and so have access to dealers that you don't. It doesn't cost anything if you don't buy through them and they can sometimes get some good deals.

Visitor

Ok, good advice.

Maybe I'm just looking for someone to tell me that a Sport will be plenty for what I want.
    I have found some rubicons in yards, but not many.

Ok I think weighing up all the options Im currently leaning toward a slightly modified sport. (tyres, bumper bars, leather seats (My wifes one mandate, and I quite like them too), and then take some time to consider a moderate lift and perhaps upgraded suspendion.

Visitor

I have a Sport with 2.5" flexy coil lift and 33" AT tyres and it's more than enough to frighten the hell out of me. I'm not after driving vertical rock walls and the likes partly as that's way beyond my current experience/skill level and partly because the JK is my DD (and I enjoy it as such) and I can't afford to not have a car because it needs fixing after last weekend. Similarly to you, we enjoy getting away camping and getting off the beaten track but a mildly modded JK will do that in spades and still have plenty left if you want to push it a bit harder. I've never been stuck, and while some will say that's because I haven't tried hard enough (and they might be right), it doesn't get babied either. I've no doubt that lockers would allow me to drive some tracks more easily or to drive harder tracks but if you don't know how to use them properly (which I don't) lockers can just ensure you get even more stuck in more difficult places rather than stopping you from getting stuck at all. Would I like lockers.....absolutely. Do I need them for the driving I do.......no, not really.

Once you've owned it for a while and if you then decide you want to drive harder tracks you can then mod it to suit but if it's a balance of DD/family duties/weekend play/camping trips then I suspect a Sport will do you just fine.

Visitor

Paul,

Ok great, This is what i wanted to hear. I'll be able to get a thumper and fridge, and the new tent that "we can stand up in" that my wife wants.

How much did your lift cost?

Visitor

My lift cost about $2k. That's for Suspension Stuff flexy coils (not the cheapest by any stretch but very good progressive coils with 5 year anti-sag guarantee), Rancho adjustable shocks, JKS sway bar links/disconnects, Teraflex front track bar & rear track bar bracket, & AEV geometry correction brackets.

You've got fitting on top of that but to be honest (and with the benefit of hindsight) you're better off giving it a go yourself. I didn't as I'd never done anything mechanical before in my life but I've since had every component out and back in again for one reason or another (just me tinkering!) and it's not that difficult. The added bonus is you learn more about the JK while you're at it. SJC are a friendly bunch as well so for the sake of a few beers there are always people willing to come lend a hand, or Wooders runs toolbox days where you can go over to his workshop and fit things up with a little tuition and guidance from others who learned the hard way.

Hey Nick, I would have to agree with Paul, I was pretty lucky to a JK sports 2011, with a few bits and pieces on it, and it had really low K's, in saying that I love my 4wdriving and camping and it gets me where I need to be, the greatest thing about being part of the club is that when you go trips, you can see all the different mods on other Jeeps and how they work and are they worth it. When I brought it, I told my wife I would not need to spend a cent, because it had everything we needed LOL............sliders and disconnects, and I now have everything I need LOL, oh I also wanted a supercharger, till I saw Kev's blow up. But the list will be endless, but I would go the sport, but that's me........Cant wait to meet you on a trip........I will be the concerned one on every track LOL Steve and Hayley

Visitor

Great, thanks Paul, Steve

The fog is clearing now. I still want to know if you guys have sat nav? My wife is keen for the uconect package. is it better to get an after market solution, and will the steering wheel controls still work with an after market unit?

I have after market unit, in dash VMS. It's great, iPod ,blue tooth, tyre psi and temps, NAV, a heap of other stuff that just confuses me, oh DVD, Hayley loves that LOL and it also has a wireless.
    yes the steering controls works with mine.

Visitor

I just have the standard 6-stacker unit, a parrot bluetooth kit for the phone, and separate GPS, and mine's an MY10 so I didn't get steering wheel controls.......hell I didn't even electric door mirrors! I've no doubt the sound geeks and techno freaks would be horrified at my basic set up but it works well enough for me.

I've not heard any good comments about the U-Connect, either in it's functionality or the updatability. My guess would be (similar to most dealer fitted options) save your money and buy aftermarket......VMS, Polaris, etc if you want an in-build replacement unit.