Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water in petrol

Default Water in petrol

Tuesday 03/09 filled the jeep with petrol and drove 4.3km home no problem evident. The Jeep was not used until Wednesday evening.
    Set off on a 35km journey to Regents Park to attend the AGM. Approx half way there the car starts to cough and shudder but only intermitantly. Coming through Lidcombe it is coughing and now backfiring and the engine light comes on, only to go out a few seconds
    later, this happens several times.

We leave the meeting, with a few coughs and splutters, nothing really dramatic. We now get onto the M4 and it starts to really cough, only the engine light comes on and stays on. We decide to press on and try to make it home, as between coughing fits the car is running fine. At home I tried cycling the ignition switch on/off several times to extinguish the engine light, but to no avail.

Thursday morning I obtain 5ltr. of metho and being unsure just how much water there is in the fuel tank pour the lot in. This seems to have cured the problem.
    Also I disconnected the accessories, ie. dashcam, GPS etc. and flashed the computer, by disconnecting the wiring from the pos.+ terminal of the battery, then shorting the wiring across to the neg.- terminal, this discharges all the capacitors in the computer and resets it back to standard. This then extinguishes the engine light. Just reconnect every thing and reset the clock, all should be normal.

For those of you that don't know, the metho mixes with the water and enables it to be burnt.

The service station concerned and their head office have been notified. Since I have only bought fuel from one service station for the last 6 months it was easy to pinpoint the source of the contaminated fuel.
    Last edited by Bear; 08-09-13 at 12:13 PM. Reason: typo

The saga continues, went for a drive Sunday 08/09, the problem not solved. Driving on the flat at speeds up to 100km/hr. no bother at all, but try to climb any hill or any thing that tilted the car backwards, it would cough and splutter and backfire. Obviously the problem has not fixed.

Spoke to my mechanic on Monday 09/09, the earliest he can fit the JK in is Wednesday 11/09. The mechanic proposes to remove the fuel tank (since there is no drain plug), to drain, flush, and dry the tank, also to flush the fuel line. I have requested he mount serviceable filter on the fire wall to catch any contaminants before they get to the injectors.
    Last edited by Bear; 10-09-13 at 12:04 AM.

Hi Bear,
    Just tell him the tank is held on by the skid plate bolts only. As soon as they come off the tank comes crashing down.... Don't ask me how I know.....

Mani

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

Hey Mani,

I know!!! LOL.

I've already warned Bear about both our experiences!

cheers

Andy

Third episode, picked the JK up this afternoon 11/09, and feel like a real idiot after convincing myself I had contaminated fuel, the mechanic explained that after hooking the car to his diagnostic machine, it was not a fuel problem but an ignition problem.

Apparently the ignition leads were breaking down under load, and needed to be replaced.

Past experience had shown when a spark plug or lead break down the misfire is almost continuous and not intermittent.

Does my error qualify me for the "Bugger Award"
    Last edited by Bear; 11-09-13 at 10:25 PM. Reason: typo

Visitor

Great to hear that it wasn't as serious as a fuel line problem!!

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    The service station concerned and their head office have been notified. Since I have only bought fuel from one service station for the last 6 months it was easy to pinpoint the source of the contaminated fuel.
    Theres a petrol station you can't go back to.

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    Great to hear that it wasn't as serious as a fuel line problem!!
    Hey Dan, Just when you were looking forward to him having an eczema!

BUGGER AWARD!! I'll second that!!!!!! LOL

Visitor

So your back in for Sunday Bear?