Thread: Pinging

Secretary

Default Pinging

Hi all,
    just curious if anyone has any suggestions here.
    on the watagans lite trip with SteveC recently, I was trundling up a long smallish incline in 4H at low revs and the engine started pinging. The pinging subsided when revs picked up and the incline levelled out somewhat. I have been using non-E10 unleaded 91 petrol, so wondering if I need a higher octane perhaps? No pinging on normal daily duties.

Happens under load when the intake is getting hot, my XJ used to do it on the beach in Summer and higher octane would fix it, in the end I fitted a snorkel which meant no air from directly under the bonnet and a cooler intake and no more problems regardless of the fuel octane.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Secretary

Thanks Steve

Visitor

Rich the higher you in the Ron value (95-9 you will find that the pinging goes away.

If you read the manual it says not to use high octane fuel (well at least in the 3.6) I've used 91, 95 and 98 and pick 91 if available else it's 95. Unfortunately straight 91 is hard to find..

I use E10 with no Ill effects and have just noticed on the pumps that E10 is now 94 ron. Doggy.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    If you read the manual it says not to use high octane fuel (well at least in the 3.6) I've used 91, 95 and 98 and pick 91 if available else it's 95. Unfortunately straight 91 is hard to find..
    Most United stations have straight 91 octane...
    It is not he who gives abuse that affronts, but the view that we take of it as insulting; so that when one provokes you it is your own opinion which is provoking.<br /><br />–Epictetus