Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trail Rated Question

Every 4X4 Jeep must be able to conquer the Rubicon Trail in standard form to gain the Trail Rated badge. Some of the lesser Jeep's in the US are only basic road cars and don't get the off road extras, ie bash plates At tires , and lower gearing and the all important 4 wheel drive. The Rubicon Trail is the standard Jeep set, hence " Trail Rated" Doggy Dave.

The Trail Rated is really just a marketing gimmick dreamed up by Chrysler.
    IMHO if I bought a Jeep with one of those badges, I'd consider ripping it off.

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by dobbo56 View Post
    Every 4X4 Jeep must be able to conquer the Rubicon Trail in standard form to gain the Trail Rated badge. Some of the lesser Jeep's in the US are only basic road cars and don't get the off road extras, ie bash plates At tires , and lower gearing and the all important 4 wheel drive. The Rubicon Trail is the standard Jeep set, hence " Trail Rated" Doggy Dave.
    But which part of the trail though? Some trails are A+, whilst some there are Cs. Its just marketing I reckon.

Even Jeep Jamboree USA has a min req for participants for the Rubi Trail. Rated tow fr n rr, 33" tires, at the very least. I dont think the "trail rated" US GCs have any of that, especially when running 20" mall rated tires.

"VEHICLE REQUIREMENTS Rock rails, skid plates and tow points are mandatory for the Rubicon Trail. Skid plates are to be under the gas tank, transfer case, engine and transmission (three total). Tow points are MANDATORY! Tow points may include, tow hooks properly mounted to the frame with grade six/ eight bolts according to official Mopar installation procedures, draw bars, receiver hitches, or aftermarket bumpers with manufacturers installed clevis or d-ring anchor. If you do not have tow points, you may be turned away at registration without a refund. • No body lifts or suspension lifts over 6” combined. • No tires over 37”. A recommended height of 33” tires with a “C” rating and 3-ply sidewalls. • No snowplow frames. • We recommend removing running boards and steps both factory and aftermarket if planning to participate in higher rated trails. • All open-topped vehicles, including older models (CJs, Scramblers and Willys), must have mandatory roll bars. • Tow strap recommended (with loops—NO METAL HOOKS). • Full-size spare tire or comparable size mandatory! A space-saver spare (donut) just won't do. • Must be street legal with license plate.
    Last edited by AV8; 15-09-13 at 11:58 AM. Reason: More Info

Quote Originally Posted by Wooders View Post
    The Trail Rated is really just a marketing gimmick dreamed up by Chrysler.
    IMHO if I bought a Jeep with one of those badges, I'd consider ripping it off.
    Wrong target demographic....now if they came out with a "Shed Rated" badge... :-)

thanks guys, i asked because i came across the Jeep.com page mentioned earlier with the videos, and they have a bunch of videos for the GC. They state all TR vehicles have to go pass the A+ graded rubi trail in order to receive a TR badge.

So if my standard GC can take on an A+ trail, then why do i need to add upgrades is what i would like to know.
    Sounds like a gimmick to me, so i thought i would ask before i go ahead and brag about it infront of my country friends and get that thing stuck in country mud and require a Wrangler to pull me out.

The way make it seem on that video though, that standard GC is conquering some serious boulders.

Visitor

Yeh, I'd say there's no way a stock anything will take on the harder lines of Rubicon Trail, or at least not without a winch and literally just dragging it through. After watching some of the Wayalife vids you can see how serious some of the trails are, and most of those guys are in JK's with 37" tyres minimum, 6" lifts, long arms, coil overs, and more flex that a Russian gymnast. I think the WK2 is a great car but you can't imagine it competing in that arena.......or even a stock JK for that matter.

As someone mentioned, there are likely bypass tracks around the worst of it so you can still do the Rubicon without having to climb over 4ft high boulders. I'm guessing they take these bypasses with most of the stock vehicles, taking ever increasingly easier bypasses with the smaller vehicles.

It's definitely a marketing tool but at the same time it does at least prove that Jeep have seriously thought about how their vehicles will handle off road which is probably a lot more than other manufacturers do.

If you are talking this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MTWO2MCYKU
    Again it's Jeep Marketing machine. For example the Compass in that clip (at about 45sec) is hardly what I would capacle of doing what I'd rade a C grade trip (in standard form).
    Notice most of the "harder" bits are snipped of JK, with a few quick snippets of the other models. Don't get me wrong the new Jeeps are far more capable stock now than they used to be, and often more capable than their owners. But to claim a stock vehicle can do a A/B graded trip (without sustaining damage) is simply marketing folly.

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by slickaz View Post
    thanks guys, i asked because i came across the Jeep.com page mentioned earlier with the videos, and they have a bunch of videos for the GC. They state all TR vehicles have to go pass the A+ graded rubi trail in order to receive a TR badge....
    SJC rates trails using A-D, A being most difficult., JeepJamboree USA use 1-10, 10 being the most difficult and we did a challenge rated at 11!, so they say. To be honest, JJ USA's 11 was probably a B- in my opinion. With numerous trails and heaps less restrictions there, people just go out and do their own thing pretty much. JJ USA is mainly run to get owners who's never been out offroading to learn and appreciate what their Jeeps can do. It also caters for the more mature demographic segment and retirees who have time and money to travel the country with around 30 Jambos per year being run around the country. Not hard core at all. Much different flavour to our Jambo. Some of the trails whilst scenic are somewhat lame. Now, how Fiat Chrysler Jeep rates trails... Who knows? There isn't a set standard as such, I don't think. So their A+ ain't the same as our club's A+. Not same.. Simplezzz

Visitor

Picked up my GP today and noticed that it does have the trail rated badge.

Visitor

I'll get one of these when I get my JK to the wanted (no, REQUIRED haha) lift and flexyness:

Quote Originally Posted by Nixolus View Post
    Picked up my GP today and noticed that it does have the trail rated badge.