Thread: Tuning your UHF

Default Tuning your UHF

Recently I noticed that my UHF radio was not working as well as it should be. Others were not hearing me. After some research (and reminiscing back to the 70's when CB was all 10/4 good buddy, oh they were the days aka Desert fox).

I discovered or rather rediscovered that a UHF radio, should be tuned to your aerial/cable. This is especially important if you ever shorten, damage or change the length of your cable. I recently shortened mine so...

To do so you need to use a SWR meter. Basically it's a meter that (temporarily) sits between the radio and the cable.

So.....my question is - does any one have one of these I can borrow? else any reason the club can not buy one so every one can benefit from it?

I'm sure many here would be anxious to know if their UHF is tuned as well as confident they are using maximum power to transmit

Steve

From what I understand, and have been taught,by radio people, the ones that sell uhf, is, that the antennas come pre tuned for uhf, so no need to tune them like the good old days on an a.m. cb. These had to get the tip trimmed a little at a time with the S.W.R. meter you mention. I relocated my ariel from the front to the rear, new cable and all good

Also pretty sure there is no need to retune uhf after a cable change etc

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk now Free
    Public Officer - Member #076

You guys may be right but my reception has gone poor, The SWR will highlight if it's a problem with cable/antenna or the UHF is going to the heavens. It is after all 10 year old and it's taken a bit of a beating

Yeah, my unit wasn't pushing out very much, i got it tested, and resulted being the output module. $130 later and all is good.