Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need mechanical help

Default I need mechanical help

Our Kj has had a little dip problem for awhile now and I've had mechanist look at it and well I've replaced the radiator , water pump , thermostat and coolant ( about three times ) it doesn't run hot (never goes above half ) it seems to be coming out under the res tank from a what looks like a relief hole that's moulded in the bottom but it just is a constant mess of coolant down onto my valve cover and it then runs down the exhaust . Makes the whole car stink of burnt coolant also there is some water coming from exhaust on start up can somebody help me out I haven't got a great deal of knowledge left on the subject

Water out the exhaust on startup is normal, just condensation buildup in the exhaust, it should stop pretty quickly, only an issue if the exhaust is 'steamy' as that means a leak into the combustion chamber, but if that was the case you;d know about it and would have overheating and constant steam from the exhaust.

Not sure on the leak, if it's coming out of the overflow bottle I'd be checking the radiator cap as it might not be holding the correct pressure anymore and letting too much water into the reservoir.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Could be pressure build up in the cooling system
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!

I've replaced cap with a standard figment one . No steam just a few drops and then stops so that good thanks Steve . Hi no pressure build up ? Ok how do I fix that ? Or should I get someone better the. My knowledge to do it

Whenever I've had concerns about my KJ, I've (pardon the ad) nipped into Natrad. They've diagnosed and fixed my old clutch fan problem (when Jeep couldn't), also overheating... The guys at Granville are pretty good. Sometimes you just need to bite the bullet!

Dave

I live back on the central coast now but yeah might just have to find them up here thanks dave

This may be too simple, is it just overfull?

I don't believe so it doesn't matter if it's at the cold full line or above still does same even when drops bollow the line

Hunno you legend did a quick bleed this morning and had a Lot of air come out still think I need to do more but much better after our driving today . Thanks everybody for help and ideas

I wouldn't be getting happy about it just yet. There's really only one reason for a pressurised cooling system
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!