Thread: How do I confirm the year of my Jeep Cherokee?

Default How do I confirm the year of my Jeep Cherokee?

Hi all, I have a Jeep Cherokee XJ that I bought a few months ago. The registration certificate says it is a 1997 model (Year = 1997). However, decoding the VIN on the internet suggests it is a 1996 model (1J4FJB8S0TL295378 - 10th character is T which is 1996). I need to order a new Crank Position Sensor and they seem to be different parts for 1996 and 1997 models so I am not certain of which one to order. I haven't been able to remove the existing sensor yet as that seems to be an art in itself to connect all the socket extensions in order to reach the bolts...Images of the 1997 sensor look more like the one on my Jeep than the 1996 one. If the VIN suggests 1996, should I assume that is the model year and ignore the registration certificate? Is there anything else about the Jeep that would help me tell which year it is? Thank you.

No expert, but you are right! My Jeep is a 2005 model KJ, but the compliance plate says it was assembled in November 2004!

If you ring Jeep Parts (Nepean Motors have always been helpful to me) to enquire about a part, they will ask for your VIN, as their computer uses it as the reference point. They might then be able to supply the part or at least give you the correct part number. You could also try Dave - Wooders Garage - he might be able to do the same...

Fingers crossed,
    Dave

Visitor

Usually parts pertain to build year, ie VIN year, not rego year. Thats why they sometimes ask for your VIN when ordering parts.

Visitor

As far as I know the 10th digit tells you the model year. That may or may not be the same as the build year because Jeep always start building the next model year in about Aug of the previous year. Registration year could also be different depending on how long it took to get the Jeep over here and then sell it and register it.

My JK is an MY10. It was built in 09 (September 09 I think) and it was registered in Dec 09 (it was early Xmas present!).

I'd ignore the registration year as that doesn't tell you anything about your specific car other than when it was purchased by it's first owner. I'd be going by the VIN code year. I don't know XJ's at all so can't help you on any other tell tale signs between the '96's & '97's but I'm sure others on here will know.

Thanks to all for your advice. I have just removed the Crank Position Sensor. It has 56027866/2146 stamped on it, which according to the various internet sites (jeep4x4.com and the amazon.com parts selector) is for the 97-99 Model. That is interesting, because if I had ordered online based upon the year from the VIN (1996), I would have bought a different part number (56026882) which appears to have a slightly different connector into the harness. I'll order the same part as the one I just removed and see if that solves the problem. <Br> This was my first time removing the CPS - for those that also need to do it, it took me much longer researching the net to figure out how to do it, and then working out the combination of socket extensions to make it fit. I ended up using the following: a 3/8" ratchet, connected to all 3 pieces of a "3 pce 3/8" drive extension bar set" from SuperCheapAuto ($12.99) , connected to a 3/8th universal joint, to a 3" 3/8 extension and finally the 11mm 3/8th socket itself. Left hand to hold the socket in place on the bolts, right hand to undo it. Probably took 30 mins (and 6 hours to work it all out beforehand..)

Visitor

Well, there you go, learn more stuff everyday. Thanks both. I stand corrected and VIN provides the model year. Bateman bought CPS based on rego year.

I really am confused now.
    Last edited by AV8; 15-10-13 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AV8 View Post
    Well, there you go, learn more stuff everyday. Thanks both. I stand corrected and VIN provides the model year. Bateman bought CPS based on rego year.

I really am confused now.
    Haha, the likelihood is that I will have ordered the wrong part! Maybe the person who owned the jeep before me thought it was a 97 model, bought a 97 model CPS and that's why it hasn't been working properly... Now I need to check whether the 96' brake pads and disc rotors are the correct ones - I am thinking I should have bought '97 ones now..

It always the same ours in august 2001 but it's one of the first Kj to be here and stated as 2002