Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 JK Pinging in top gears

Ash74

Default 2008 JK Pinging in top gears

G'day

Is anyone having issues with pinging. I run 98 only and have tried all the brands (best being Shell) but in fourth to sixth gear the engine costantly pings even when not under load.

I have informed Jeep on every service and they always come back with - We took a sample of the fuel and the fuel looked a bit suspect (exact words each time) try another service station.

Does anyone else have this problem or has a solution to this problem? opposed to turning the radio up.

Visitor

I had this problem check the gaps of your spark plugs, an also get a check for any codes may have a knock sensor playing up. And in your jeep there is no point running 98 octane as its engine management system isn't tunned to run on it just your regular unleaded will be fine.

Ash74

Assiejk

If I run 95 its pings 10 times worse, and I will not run the ethonal mix. I will look at the knock sensor as advised

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Ash74 View Post
    Assiejk

If I run 95 its pings 10 times worse, and I will not run the ethonal mix. I will look at the knock sensor as advised
    you are only wasting your money by using expensive fuel, there is obvisouly a problem there that is causing it to ping my jk runs perfectly on e10 i get the same milage and same performace out of it, If you need any help let me know i am mechanic an can help you out... as i said in other post there is nothing wrong with ethonal, ethonal is man made petrol... made from sugar kane and other various renewable sources...

the grand makes better km/p/l with the 98 & don't ping. 95 pings. the ethonal runs fine but km/p/l is down.
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!

Is it worth getting Jeep to replace the knock sensor? Or even just check the wiring on it your self and make sure it at least looks OK. It shouldn't ping with no load and even under load the knock sensor should force an adjustment of the timing.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Quote Originally Posted by Hunno View Post
    the grand makes better km/p/l with the 98 & don't ping. 95 pings. the ethonal runs fine but km/p/l is down.
    How much difference with the 98, I run ethanol most of the time but might try a tank of 98 on the trip to the cape if it makes a worthwhile difference. Has to be a fair bit as a tank is 120lt for me.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

In the ZJ I would get a least 50k's+ compared to using 95....... Got the same when I did use Ethenol but that was a 98 octane rating as well..................
    JC Member# 094

Ash74

Ausiejk

I just completed a trip to Birdsville and back did some 5800ks. At one stage of the trip (when listening to the tiges play) I flattened the battery. I read on an american site that disconnecting the battery resets the computor, I have since heard no pinging at all and ran 95 (remote feul mostly) the whole time.

Thanks heaps for your offer of help

Hi,, I own a JK sports unlimited 2009 model automatic wrangler. same issue with pinging noise. i have always used 98. i have complained to jeep and they said change your fuel station. can anyone help?? any mechanic?