Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol blended fuel.

Visitor

Default Ethanol blended fuel.

Hi guys,

Just wondering I can use E10 in my Jeep Wrangler JKU 2011? According to the www I can, but want to hear from anybody that has first hand experience.

Thanks

When I purchased my '07 Rubicon 2door in Feb '08 I used E10 and found I needed a petrol tanker following me around. On advice from my mechanic I switched to 98 octane (higher priced) cheaper in the long run as I get 11.2-------12.8lt./100 km. I also found when there was a brief shortage of 98 octane I used 96 octane and the fuel consumption went up by 1.4 lt./100k, this translates into 14lt/1000k.

Cobus, Hi mate, I use E10 in my JK 3.8 all the time it's now been upgraded to 94RON I get around 12.5 ltrs per 100 k's on the hwy, I have tried 98 and found no notable improvements in economy or performance, but that's just me everyone has different idea's. So Yes, E10 is quiet safe to use in your JKU. Cheers Doggy Dave.
    Last edited by dobbo56; 20-10-13 at 10:23 AM.

Jeeps have had ethanol fuel capability in place since 1986 in the States when severeal western US states started running E10 during the winter months to keep smog down...so they've been dealing with ethanol for a while now. Jeeps sold in some South American countries have to be able to run on up to 100% ethanol.
    My brother's WK and XK both have Flex Fuel options for E85...
    That being said for overseas, I run both my V8 Jeep and straight six Jeep on United's 100 octane E10 and they both love it...
    It is not he who gives abuse that affronts, but the view that we take of it as insulting; so that when one provokes you it is your own opinion which is provoking.<br /><br />–Epictetus

Visitor

Hi again,

Filled up the JK with $10 when near empty and then again with another $15 and today $50 just to make sure there's no remaining premium fuel left. Engine seems fine so far however it struggled to start once. That though may have just been my imagination.

How do you calculate fuel consumption or do you just go according to the dash display that shows L/100km's?

It's reassuring to hear that the US has been using ethanol for such a long time.

Cheers

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Cobus View Post
    How do you calculate fuel consumption or do you just go according to the dash display that shows L/100km's?
    My dash display is right about as often as my girlfriends directions! It's OK as a guide but it's not accurate. Best to work it out.

Fill it up & zero the trip meter.
    Next time you fill it up take note of the km's and how many litres it took to fill.
    If you're really anal (that'd be me!), or if petrol foams up as badly as diesel does when you're filling (your JK is petrol isn't it?) then carefully fill it to the top of the filler pipe both times so you can see the fuel and you know it's full to the same level each time. Certainly with the diesel it foams up so much when you're filling that the point at which the pump clicks off can be very different depending on the fuel and the servo. Might not be as bad for petrol.
    Also, if you're wanting the figures to be accurate, make sure you fill up at servos where the forecourt is flat. There are a couple around me that are on quite a slope and that can change how much fuel you'll fit in as the JK tank is long a skinny. If your front end is high then you'll get less in as you'll not be able to fill the tank completely.
    For l/100km figure just take the number litres you used, divide by the number of km's you travelled and then multiply by 100. For me something like 72 litres/690km x 100 = 10.43l/100km

I have a 2011 2dr jk with the 3.8l engine and it has 68000km on it and that's all been done with e10. My rough average from the dash is about 12.3l per 100km. I have tried normal unleaded and premium but didnt notice a big enough difference to warrant using them.
    I have had no issues though with starting or had any engine issues at all with e10.

Visitor

Hi, (again)

Thanks for the input (again). It's 0500 in the AM and clearly I've got nothing better to do (I'm at work) so I've crunched the numbers. My calculations may be waaaay off cause I'm no bean counter and it's way past my bedtime. Paul can you recheck my calcs?

$50 = 34L E10 = 250Km's. Thus $1 / 5km's
    My dash display reads 12L/100Km's
    Theoretically I should then get 280Km's /34L.

I've gonna repeat this one more time then compare it to regular fuel and see what happens. I am feeling somewhat excited and nerdy about this experiment. The words Loser / enthusiast comes to mind.

Cheers all.

Visitor

If you get 250km from 34l then that is 13.6l/100km. At 12l/100km you should have gotten 283km.

Don't forget to reset the fuel economy reading dash display when you fill up. The dash display measures the average fuel consumption since the last time it was reset, or at least mine does (I presume the newer ones are the same). That means if you've never reset it it'll be reading the average fuel consumption since you bought the JK.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobus View Post
    Hi, (again)

Thanks for the input (again). It's 0500 in the AM and clearly I've got nothing better to do (I'm at work) so I've crunched the numbers. My calculations may be waaaay off cause I'm no bean counter and it's way past my bedtime. Paul can you recheck my calcs?

$50 = 34L E10 = 250Km's. Thus $1 / 5km's
    My dash display reads 12L/100Km's
    Theoretically I should then get 280Km's /34L.

I've gonna repeat this one more time then compare it to regular fuel and see what happens. I am feeling somewhat excited and nerdy about this experiment. The words Loser / enthusiast comes to mind.

Cheers all.
    Mate ,

The computer thingy on the dash is not very accurate with the consumption figures...

1. Next time u decide to fill up the tank fill it till the bowser clicks.
    2. Reset the odometer to zero.
    3. Drive normal and when u need to refill again go to the same petrol pump and preferably to the same bowser and fill it till it clicks off again.
    4. Now {(the petrol it took to fill the tank/the kilometers on the odometer) * 100} will give you your true fuel economy....

If its any consolation I am currently getting 15.5l/100k from a 3.8 JKU, Auto, 2 inch lift and 33 inch muddies driving from Blacktown to Silverwater in peak period.....

Cheers
    Mani

Sent from my ME371MG using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TRBN8R; 30-10-13 at 10:28 AM.